OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Less Experienced Hunters  (Read 6406 times)

Offline Blairj

Less Experienced Hunters
« on: March 20, 2017, 10:26:39 AM »
Not sure if this a big NO NO, or more like not giving up the location of that favorite fishing hole, but I saw a post a while ago about someone offering to help another fellow forum member out and take them hunting if he/she lived close.  I have wondered how some of the veteran turkey guru's would feel about mentoring by taking less experience turkey hunters out in the woods?  Are there are any veteran turkey guys that would want to unload some knowledge and give some in the field training.   I am not a new hunter by any means and have been at it since I was able to, but am being sort of reborn to the area of turkey.   I've been out of the game for over a decade and a half and last year picked it up again.   Almost had a successful first hunt on public land but made the mistake of setting up in a poor location where the underbrush got in my way and I couldn't take the shot even though he was only about 20 yards away.  Didn't hear another gobble after that weekend.  I'm sure there are quite a few people who would jump at the opportunity to get some real time experience from some of the guys on here. 

Just a thought and was curious to see.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
Re: Less Experienced Hunters
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »
I'm usually willing to go with someone new at least once, if time permits.   A second hunt depends on how the first hunt went.  It doesn't depend on a kill or anything like that.   It's more of a safety first, then compatibility and how serious the person is about learning.   I'm all for goofing off and having a good time, but I'm also wanting to see a gobbler up close.

The one requirement I have is for the newer hunter is we hunt his land and his birds.   And once they have killed a bird I get a chance to carry a gun if I decide I'd like to shoot one on their place.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:53:44 AM »
"All things in the beginning are difficult." That's one of my beliefs that keep me involved when the newness of an experience becomes challenging. As a turkey hunter for the past 30 years, I've left more birds in the woods because of inexperience than I've taken home, especially in the early years when I was a strict run-and-gun hunter, doing a lot of running and extremely limited gunning.
I hope you find someone close to you who will share their experience which will greatly reduce the learning curve in turkey hunting; however, you'll never learn it all and that's what keeps many of us returning to the woods season after season. Best of luck in your turkey hunting endeavors!

Offline Blairj

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:19:17 AM »
Great advice.  Safety would def be of the utmost importance.   Absolutely the best teacher is failing and having to give it another go.  I myself enjoy a great challenge as well and get quite competitive with myself.   I do have a couple of decades of hunting experience under by belt, which helps me out a lot, but there was def a fire that got lit when I heard that gobble last year after not hearing one for so long.  I more so wanted to get some peoples take on whether assisting other hunters by taking them out in the woods mentoring would be more taboo so to speak or acceptable.  Now if the opportunity to go hunt with some fellow veteran conservationist presents itself that would be great and I would absolutely jump on it.  I also thought this could possibly help some others who may need a little help and see that people are willing to invest their time in the sport in many ways.  I hunt mostly public land in MO within 100 miles of St Charles area.  I do have 88 acres of private land I have access too but I know that isn't much.  Being originally from NW PA, that is where I have the most land at my disposal with up near 1k+ acres to roam that gets very little pressure from turkey hunters.       

Online Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 12:34:50 PM »
I often take newbies be it kids or adults. I kinda prefer it. The satisfaction of teaching someone a great sport is enough reward. That being said I'm careful. Sometimes folks screw ya.
Give you a for instance. I hunted a farm a bit from my house. Killed a bird there 15 years opening morning. Normally within the first 45 mins. Place was great.
Now this fellow wanted to come n check it out. I believe in teaching so I explained the wheres n whys. Just in talking I mentioned where they roosted. I was younger than.
Told him too bout my success at this area.

So after I called a few birds for him I was told the following year him n his friend were gonna hunt that exact spot opening morning. He felt he owed me a courtesy call!!!
They built a blind there n my ex wife n I showed up., they weren't there so to the area we went.

Birds started gobbling n I saw lights behind me. Here they come. Saw us set up n now we're having a call contest. Each time birds started my way they called. After a bit I backed off, my ex wife stayed n the birds came to my walking away yelping.
They came up the hill n spooked the birds.
Long story short I heard other birds n grabbed her n drug her up mtn. She wound up killing a nice bird at 8 yards but I never again showed those guys a thing.
Moral of story, no one has to give you anything. They're doing it willingly. Respect them
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:06:16 PM by Bowguy »

Offline dejake

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 01:49:55 PM »
I've taken a less experienced friend out the past 2 years AFTER I got my bird.

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »
I'm taking on a total new turkey hunter this year. He's been duck, deer, & quail hunting for years, so there's a lot that he already knows about safety and courtesy in the field. I made it clear to him that my ace up the sleeve private spots are going to stay that way.  The only way somebody is going to find out where they are is if they stumble upon me as they trespass where they're not supposed to be.  I will take him to some public land that anybody with a gamelands permit can use, but the only private land we will be hunting is land he gets us access to.  I did not get drawn for any permit hunts this year, but I would have brought him if he wanted to come along as an observer.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 06:58:19 PM »
I have taken a lot of (mentored) kids, newbies and friends and such out over the years, did the guide thing for a while got bit a few times and quit that game... So I have some rules I go by in this, Kids I will take out to any of my private ground and work to get them a bird and the experience if we don't. I have met some pretty good hunters men and women and by good I'm talking good personality over the years. I will start with an adult on their ground, I tote a gun while I'm with them and if I am able to score on a bird after theirs that's part of the deal, I don't ask to come back and hunt the farm unless invited too. If I don't get one that day so be it... Just a bonus bird if I do :) The rest of the family & friends have access to any farm I can hunt but I must be along.

MK M GOBL

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 07:35:36 PM »
I would go to the hunters spot or public land that they have scouted. I don't take people to my public land spots.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline born2hunt

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 10:09:58 PM »
Like many of you guys, I eat sleep and breath turkey hunting year round, but the actual season is just too dang short. Way to short to be wasted on people that dont care enough about it to put forth the effort to learn on their own. To many just want to tag along and kill a bird so they can brag about it to their buddies. I am a VERY nice and generous fella but when it comes to my turkey season I am down right selfish (except with my kids) . I have buddies ask me all the time if I will go with them on their Quota hunts because they dont have a clue what to do, I just tell them its a busy time of year and we'll have to see how the season goes "or if I have a better spot to go that weekend ;D" . I had no one to teach me and have never had a bird called in for me. I read and studied every thing I could and was taught by the woods, so if they want it BAD enough they can do the same.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Less Experienced Hunters
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 11:00:13 PM »
I have no problem giving a hand and helping someone learn the ropes. Some of my most memorable hunts involved some pretty young hunters taking their first. But it will be on my terms and they had better have a good attitude and be willing to work. I am very picky on who I hunt with these days and there had better be a healthy respect for the game and game laws as well as a sense of humor. I don't waste my time dealing with stupidity anymore. I want to enjoy hunting not be angry at childish/lazy behavior. My boys are getting to learn the ropes now so i am concentrating on teaching them what it means to be a hunter instead of an imbecile with a gun just itching to shoot something.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 12:31:40 AM »
Like many of you guys, I eat sleep and breath turkey hunting year round, but the actual season is just too dang short. Way to short to be wasted on people that dont care enough about it to put forth the effort to learn on their own. To many just want to tag along and kill a bird so they can brag about it to their buddies. I am a VERY nice and generous fella but when it comes to my turkey season I am down right selfish (except with my kids) . I have buddies ask me all the time if I will go with them on their Quota hunts because they dont have a clue what to do, I just tell them its a busy time of year and we'll have to see how the season goes "or if I have a better spot to go that weekend ;D" . I had no one to teach me and have never had a bird called in for me. I read and studied every thing I could and was taught by the woods, so if they want it BAD enough they can do the same.

The new hunter who I'm helping to learn the ropes this year is actually a client of my company, who has brought business our way. He has read a lot about turkey hunting and watched every video he could get his eyes on, he just hasn't done it yet. Most of my clients don't hunt and business is all we have in common. To have a client who I like as a person, and who shares one of my passions is worth taking the time to help shorten his learning curve. 

I came up through the school of hard knocks myself and it was years & a lot of mistakes before I started figuring the turkey hunting game out better. I also had a little help along the way from reading, then my best friend, who always had access to quality places & who got to travel to take guided hunts at some premier locations (it helps that his father is a wealthy big game hunter).  His experience helped refine some of my tactics and we began hunting together regularly over the past 25 years. When we get together, turkeys die.  Due to work schedules, we don't get to hunt together as often as we'd like.  My other hunting & fishing buddy moved to Arkansas.  We have only managed to hunt together once in the past decade.

So, along with helping beak in a new turkey hunter, I'm also hoping to cultivate a friendship.  I'm not about to give up any of my best spots, but if I can help this guy along his turkey hunting journey, it could be a good for both of us. I want to see him kill his first and I want to be there when he calls in & kills his first on his own. 

Nobody was born knowing how to hunt turkeys and we all had to learn some of it from other members of the tribe, either through books, videos, websites, or mentors.  I'm choosing to help guide this guy along the path to get him started out right by sharing my experience in hopes of increasing his skill set. His success will be repayment enough for me. 

I completely understand where you're coming from.  I guess I just want to share the experience and test my instruction abilities on a willing student who will likely become a hunting buddy.  I hope this makes sense.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 12:40:02 AM »
It is a very special person that gets to hunt with me and there ain't many very special people out there.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 05:11:10 AM »
I use to help a few friends try to shorten the learning curve that seemed eager to learn. Preferred taking them on their ground,but would tell them first and foremost if we hunted mine I'm showing  you how to hunt not showing you a spot to hunt. Anymore with a young son wanting to go and a busy work schedule I haven't taken anyone else for years. A good friend of mine bought a farm and I'll probably help him if I get the chance on one of the 4 seasons my son and i arent hunting,but that's probably about it.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »
The one requirement I have is for the newer hunter is we hunt his land and his birds.   And once they have killed a bird I get a chance to carry a gun if I decide I'd like to shoot one on their place.

Excellent rule.