OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Setup help! REVISED!

Started by RiverRoost, March 17, 2017, 09:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Had two gobblers come in this afternoon and fight eachh other. One gobbler ran another one off and not sure where the one ran off went to but the other dominant bird blew up strutting after he ran the other one off.  I know where the dominant bird flew up at as he gobbled at me twice right before fly up. Should I use a Jake and hen deke in the morning or nothing at all? There's an old road right by where he flew up at so I was going to set up just off the road a bit.

Cottonmouth

Being the dominant bird,  the jake decoy wouldn't hurt a thing and might help seal the deal. Good luck.

RiverRoost

Kinda what I'm thinking after seeing him chase one bird off. Both hen and Jake in the road Thanks

RiverRoost

So back in this morning with avian jake and hen in middle of road. Gobbler comes out into open woods and struts. Doesn't acknowledge the dekes. Don't know how he possibly could have missed them in wide open road. Another gob comes running in and fights with first gobbler. Neither pay attention to 1/4 strut jake. Should I try a strutter this afternoon or just go set up where he came in strutting yesterday afternoon to roost  with nothing out?

Bowguy

No you should try gobbler yelping at em. Or fight type calls. Where you're seeing him.  This kinda bird I love!

Cottonmouth

I would absolutely try some gobbler yelps. I've killed some of my biggest birds doing this. Mix in some clucking and purring.

Bowguy

River roost are you famaliar w gobbler sounds? No disrespect only asking? You need to call slower, deeper in a pot if that's what you're using n prob not as many. Lovett Wiliams has CDs w them recorded.
If the bird didn't see your dekes he's certainly going to look to em if you gobbler yelped n he's in a fight mood.

RiverRoost

Not necessarily familiar with them. This is all large block private land so I thought about gobbling at him when he was staying far out strutting but I got him to break and come in. The deal was about to be done until the other gobbler cut him off and fought

Cottonmouth

Well.....you get him yet? Keep us posted.

Marc

I'd gobble at him...

Some excited hen calling, followed by a gobble...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.