OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Reed cuts  (Read 2607 times)

Offline vabeardhunter

Reed cuts
« on: March 19, 2017, 07:32:05 PM »
What are some thoughts on making cuts on reeds other than the top reed? Not sure if its something worth trying. Like to get some input on anyone who has tried it or uses it.
Something anyone has tried?
Where and what type of cut did you make?
What did the cut achieve?

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Reed cuts
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 08:50:09 PM »
I have made cuts on 2nd reed of a 3 reed call. Just a small slit either in the middle or to one side to loosen it up or make it work a certain way.
I have seen others do it as well.
Mark

Offline vabeardhunter

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:39:52 AM »
I have made cuts on 2nd reed of a 3 reed call. Just a small slit either in the middle or to one side to loosen it up or make it work a certain way.
I have seen others do it as well.
Mark
Thanks for the info Mark. Do you feel it made a difference in the versatility, or the pitch of the call?
Brian

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:54:21 PM »
Well, some guys say it makes certain calls run better, or they may be able to purr on it a little easier, maybe it will kee kee better etc. To me, its just not something I especially need, but it is out there. Matter of fact, I think one of Zinks calls has something like that? Could be wrong though.
Mark

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 12:04:29 AM »
Generally speaking, making cuts in the secondary reeds is risky.  However, there are times when it can help improve a call's sound.  I agree with Mark that experimenting with cuts in the secondary reeds should be done with very small nicks in the reed to start with.  Trying to make larger cuts similar to what would typically be put in the primary sound reed will often deaden the sound quality of a call. 

I have found that putting a very small nick in the secondary reed of a call that will not break off of the high end of a yelp will sometimes make it easier to achieve that transition between the high and low end.  If you are going to start making cuts in the secondary reeds of any call, however, you should be prepared to scrap the call if it doesn't work out.  Once you have deadened the sound quality by cutting the reeds, it is almost impossible to bring back to sounding good.