turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3-19-17 2nd ms bird this year

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 19, 2017, 02:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Some of you saw my review on a slate pot call I got in the mail yesterday from eddie wynne. I took a weeks vacation for opening of ms season. Killed a bird Thursday . I had to come back to town yesterday and found my persimmon slate along with 2 strikers from eddie wynne. Ran the call and was very impressed. Put it right in the vest to hunt it today. This morning heard half a dozen birds scattered about and set up on one. Never called to him on the limb. Finally he flew down and i gave a soft 4 yelp series followed by a couple of clucks. He double gobbled and started my way. I put the call down and eased off the saftu. I could hear him drumming hard , but could not see him. About then 2 hens literaly came running past me about 20 yards away. You guessed it , they went straight to old boy and he never gobbled again. I moved and ended up setting up on him 5 times before pulling the trigger. I ended up looping around and got on a sloping hardwood ridge in front of them. I yelped and clucked very softly about every 15 min and i heard faint drumming.  Couldnt tell which direction so i remained rock still with my 20 ga on my knee. Out of the corner of my right eye i caught movement and a white softball sized head gliding by in full strut. 19 yards I squeezed the trigger. My 20 ga and tss killed him stone dead. He never flopped. Dropped on my knees and thanked the good lord above for these beautiful birds , seeing another beautiful sunrise, and him giving me the health to be able to hunt them. 5 days in season and I only have 1 tag left. He weighed 23-1/2 lbs. 11" beard and 1-3/8" spurs. When I cleaned him , I Found about a dozen pellets from last season or longer in his breast. 2 days left on my vacation. I dont know if I will shoot another as I want to try to save it for later in season. If I dont kill another , its ok. I have had a good year and would not complain.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BowBendr

You are rollin'....good job. Congrats !

SteelerFan

Awesome!!! Congrats, enjoy the rest of it!

Spitten and drummen

Thanks guys. For it to be so crappy weather wise , it sure is shaping up into a awsome season
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

DawgsFan1

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

dublelung

Dang you're off to a fine start! Congrats on the gobblers!

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

owlhoot

Congrats on your second!  Little warmer weather now

SFCSNOW

Bowguy

Clardh

Congrats and I love your story. Thanks for sharing!

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Rzrbac

Roost 1

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.