Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Field Report Kings of Spring

Started by WV TURKEY THUG, March 19, 2017, 09:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV TURKEY THUG

A place to share details from your hunt or scouting trip.

docost99

There was a big strutter gobbling his head off in the field below my house this morning. First one in Northern WI that I have seen!

dublelung

I got set up on one this morning and had him answering good but he flew down across a small river and got blasted!

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: dublelung on March 23, 2017, 08:35:36 PM
I got set up on one this morning and had him answering good but he flew down across a small river and got blasted!
That sucks, I hate it when that happens. I hunt on public land, happens here a lot, I hate it even more when you got one working his way in and he meets his maker before he gets to you.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

WV TURKEY THUG

Went out yesterday moring to listen for some gobbling at one of my hot spots. Heard 3 or 4 different gobblers. Due to a tree across the road I got there about a hour after fly down. Gonna atleast make one more trip there before season starts.

rockymtngobblers

I observed a flock of 80-100  non huntable Rios this am, very vocal a lot of gobblers and Jake's fighting,  strutting  and gobbling at the drop of a hat in Colorado.
Female hunter hunting the wild turkey for over 20 years.
Earn your gobbler, no Roost shooting.

notsure

3 gobblers choose large green on a golf course near our house to strut their stuff in front of at least 10 hens.  A duffed 3 iron shot would've done the trick!

backforty

Turkeys gobbling at noon today. I don't know if I can make it 2 more weeks
Print by Madison, on Flickr

docost99

I can hear 5 toms from my deck this morning. I can hear them from inside my house! 11 days!

WV TURKEY THUG

Called up a longbeard at noon sitting at the same tree that I killed my first gobbler around 15 yrs ago. He wasn't wasting any time coming in but I got a little anxious and pulled the trigger a little too soon and off he flew to live another day.  Need to get me one of them there rangefinders or maybe just bring my 223 next time lol. Found a red fox den there were either 3 or 4 little ones running and what not around it. Probably will be my most memorable hunt of the season.

dublelung

That sounds like a fine morning even without the flop!

backforty

Those 40lb birds look alot closer than they are compared to normal sized ones
Print by Madison, on Flickr

WV TURKEY THUG

WV TURKEY THUG

Had 5 or 6 birds gobbling around me this morning. I heard hens going to every gobbler I heard. Around 930 or so I was on my way back to camp to look for morels. On the way there a well tender that's a buddy of mine stopped me and told me he scared 2 long beards that were in the middle of road when he was going down in to check the pumpjack at the camp. I figured he was just messing with me. We bs'd for about 30 min or so. I got to the area were he said he seen them. I had very little confidence there was a gobbler there. So I go out on the point and did a yelp on my hot hen slate and had one cut me off I was shocked, to say the least. I worked this bird for 1 hour and 30 min or so before I was able to pull the trigger on him. He was just a typical 2 yr old bird but it was sure fun working him. This season is sure starting out awesome for me Called in a bird the first 2 days which is first for me. Still got 1 more tag left and the only way its getting filled is if its a big old gobbler. Good luck to yall.

dublelung

Sounds like you've got plenty to choose from. Get us a big un for the contest. (after your scale comes in lol)