OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Number of decoys in your usual setup and what kind?

Started by upnorth, March 17, 2017, 11:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnorth

I have hunted fro a few years and just have had one cheap hen decoy. Sometimes the Tom will stall out. Will they be more apt to come in with a bigger spread? :newmascot:

MK M GOBL

A lot will depend on where you hunt, public? private? and where you are in breeding cycle. When I use,  I use anywhere from 1-5 decoys depending on that setup.

I use DSD's

Strutter
Jake
Upright Hen
Feeding Hen
Leading Hen

MK M GOBL

LaLongbeard

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Tennessee Lead

I'm a 0 to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Most of the the time only 2 decoy .
:popcorn:Don't know how many helps or if zero does

catman529

Guess I'm not the first one here to say 0. Lol

Greg Massey

I find it hard some people can't read.. He ask ..number of decoys in your usual setup and what kind ? So if you DON"T use decoys start your own post...   I myself use around 2 -4 depending on the time of year. Avian x....   You know whats funny is someone who posted, i use no decoys , posted a video using a turkey fan to repeat and kill a turkey last year... so i guess that's not using some kind of a decoy...  Sad..sad...

upnorth

I was watching on TV a individual talking turkey setup and he liked a hen decoy and a young jake. It got the toms riled up?

guesswho

Three.  Two Flextine Funcky Chickens and a Mad Smoky Baby. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Marc

Quote from: upnorth on March 17, 2017, 11:16:40 PM
I have hunted fro a few years and just have had one cheap hen decoy. Sometimes the Tom will stall out. Will they be more apt to come in with a bigger spread? :newmascot:
I have often found that a hen decoy alone does more harm than good...  Tom searching for that hen will continue forward motion (looking for her) until he sees her...  At which time he will often go on display for her and wants her to come the rest of the way to her.

If I were to use a single hen decoy, I would want the decoy to be facing away from the tom if possible.

In a wooded situation, I am less apt to use a decoy, cause as mentioned above, that bird will continue forward motion trying to search out that hen...  I feel it is important not to call at a bird that I can see...  If he is approaching and wants to change direction, I will wait till he is behind a tree or bush to give a little cluck or purr.

When I do use decoys, I lean towards a jake and hen combo.  The tom will always address the jake decoy before the hen.

Were I to use hen decoys only, I would probably go with a pair of hens...  I would consider this if I were hunting a large open area with a bird that was (or I felt was) hesitant to approach the jake decoy...  It is has been my experience, that getting a bird to move into a large open area he can see, he will not approach a bird that he cannot see (that should be there).

When hunting open meadows or large openings, I will put out decoys, and my initial attempt would be a jake & hen combo, with my second choice being a pair of hens...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 19, 2017, 02:03:31 AM
I find it hard some people can't read.. He ask ..number of decoys in your usual setup and what kind ? So if you DON"T use decoys start your own post...   I myself use around 2 -4 depending on the time of year. Avian x....   You know whats funny is someone who posted, i use no decoys , posted a video using a turkey fan to repeat and kill a turkey last year... so i guess that's not using some kind of a decoy...  Sad..sad...
I think maybe your the one that can't read the question was number of decoys in usual set up ....the answer is zero. You should not be sad because someone else uses a decoy you should be sad that you have to.....lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

reynolds243

Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 21, 2017, 04:04:16 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on March 19, 2017, 02:03:31 AM
I think maybe your the one that can't read the question was number of decoys in usual set up ....the answer is zero. You should not be sad because someone else uses a decoy you should be sad that you have to.....lol

come on man people know exactly what the OP is asking if you read the title and his question dont be an A$$.  People feel the need to post 0 to prove they are soooo good they dont need one unlike some others.  I personally dont care to use them but then again ive had a time or 2 over the years where I did.  If you wanna say you dont need them then post that and explain why and some alternatives to using them.  If your not being helpful then whats the point of posting in a guys thread.

reynolds243

Quote from: upnorth on March 17, 2017, 11:16:40 PM

Turkey hunting is not like duck hunting where more is better usually.  Generally speaking a jake/hen combo or just a Jake is enough.  It really comes down to set up and terrain.  If your hunting a giant field where you cannot get set up on the same side he is one then a decoy out in the field can help get him across it but then again it can also cause him to hang up out of range.

IMO going without one is the best overall tactic, allows you to be more mobile and make moves quickly.  Also makes you pay attention more to set up and not relying on a decoy to seal the deal.  Again ive seen them help but ive seen them hurt a ton.   Best bet is if you set on using them then mix it up and try different set ups and see what happens.

WNCTracker

If I'm on private I use a strutter and a hen. If I'm public I use just the hen when I first setup or if I know the roost tree. If not then I ditch the decoy behind a tree and lighten my load to run and gun