OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First Day Out

Started by RollTideHunt85, March 16, 2017, 11:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RollTideHunt85

Well for me Opening morning was very quiet.  I saw 2 turkeys in a greenfield and tried to set up on the road that leads to the greenfield, but no luck.  I have 3 questions.
1st question: How do you set up and call the turkeys in the field when they won't be vocal?
2nd question: I was hunting a new piece of property. Saw lots of turkey sign on a dirt road where they had been walking. The dirt road is surrounded by heavy pines and deep bottoms. How should I setup on the dirt road?
3rd question: Regarding decoys. Is it better to use 1 jake and 1 hen or 2 hens?

Thanks,

surehuntsalot

put 1 hen decoy on the side of the road, set up in the edge of the woods off of the road, and make a series of calls every 20 minutes or so.  Keep your eyes peeled, they could come in silent, they don't have to gobble to be interested.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Bowguy

Some of my take is were you set up in a known roosting, traveling, etc area. You gotta find this pre season scouting. Or in this case maybe in season scouting. If you see where they come from n it's a pattern set up in the dark, w no light in that area. If you hadn't pre scouted the area it might take a little. 
To me sign is good but it might be made after your season closed for the day if you have a noon time cut off? Sign in that case is useless info. Sometimes birds make a circle n the sign might be the endish.
Birds in fields can be tough. Often they just are tough. Just because they aren't gobbling doesn't mean anything. If you did see them n they didn't respond you could try gobbler yelping or maybe gobbler fights. Personally I'd just go for woods birds if that was an option.
While decoys work I've personally seen dif sets work equally well.
Best bet being its new n maybe real new is to spend a day or two long range scouting them than hunt. Again it's just the way I do it