OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: im a new scratch box user  (Read 2650 times)

Offline hotspur

im a new scratch box user
« on: March 15, 2017, 07:11:17 PM »
I picked up a scratcher from tom crook and I love it, everything you guys have said is true ,very addictive. My question is I have noticed they take alot of chalk, how often do you clean the sound board and what is your methods

Offline MickT

im a new scratch box user
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 08:45:47 PM »
Yes, they do eat the chalk. I just rechalk. I don't know that I have ever redressed the striker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: im a new scratch box user
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 08:50:17 PM »
I only clean mine if i happen to touch the striker or rail of the scratcher with my finger, the call gets exposed to moisture or at the end of season. I clean the chalk off all my calls for storage in the off season. Green scotch brite works great for loosening chalk, don't use much pressure. After the scotch brite i wipe any remaining chalk off with a paper towel.

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 08:46:35 AM »
Often I will score up the striker with 120 grit and then chalk it.  Certain chalk won't require this such as Rainchalk and the red chalk has extra grip also. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 02:58:35 PM »
Some of the chalking is dependent on the striker. Certain types require a little more. Chalk type too makes a dif. You can and should  run on different parts of the striker to add play time to the scratcher.
I've been told w both boxes n scratchers chalk should be wiped off after the season.
In the past (boxes)a very light hit w sandpaper can help but my scratchers haven't seen that n haven't needed it.
The flatter strikers seem to need more chalk. The rounder type like SS seem to be easier to play/ maintain. I'm only a few years in w em so it's only personal observations. Great calls, good luck.
I learned watching drenalins video, he seems to know them/ play them well. If he posts consider what he says

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 06:55:52 AM »
It also depends on how a scratcher is made, most tend to require firm pressure between call and striker which then requires more chalk. If you can find a call that is tuned to be very sensitive, with very light pressure required it will generally require less chalking.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 12:04:22 PM »
I always chalk before I squak