OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Is this too raspy?  (Read 5289 times)

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • God bless, and happy hunting!
Is this too raspy?
« on: March 15, 2017, 03:28:44 PM »
This is the Legacy Wild Hunter. Three reed call with a V cut. I feel like it is too raspy, but I could be wrong. What do you guys/gals think? Also, are my yelps drawn out too long? Thanks in advance!

Offline eorlando

• Longbeard
Is this too raspy?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:08:12 PM »
No soundfile

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Is this too raspy?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
Sorry...

Listen to Raspy yelp by deerbasshunter3 #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/deerbasshunter3/raspy-yelp

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 07:22:30 PM »
Where ya recording that inside? It sounds slightly distorted. Listen when I was a kid my buddy Rob used a Quaker boy twin. That call sounded very flutey to me n he never shut his mouth so all calls ran together. He still kinda calls that way n he still kills birds. To me you're doing ok for a newer mouth call user. Imo your sequence is slightly off. But only in comparison to the way I call.
As I saw somewhere stated today the truth is some of the worst calls come from turkeys. Some are raspy n some not so much.
You can change pitch w tongue pressure. You're getting it don't stress to much. If you wanna hear some real Turks. Lovett Williams has some real turkey CDs that use the turkeys own voices. They're prob some of the best money you can spend. It'll teach you more fairly quickly than just hunting.

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 08:34:24 PM »
Take this as constructive - to me it sounds like you are forcing it too much. And "yelling".

YELPYELPYELPYELP!!

Instead of yelp...yelp...yelp...yelp

Try for more separation and a 2 note. Keee-youk /  keee-youk / ke-youk / k'youk / k'youk - you avoid the "barking seal".

Keep at it!

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 09:33:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice on the sequence, I felt like it was definitely off.

I take it there is really no such thing as too raspy, or not raspy enough? Most likely just a day to day thing as to what the birds want?

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 09:38:25 PM »
Where ya recording that inside? It sounds slightly distorted. Listen when I was a kid my buddy Rob used a Quaker boy twin. That call sounded very flutey to me n he never shut his mouth so all calls ran together. He still kinda calls that way n he still kills birds. To me you're doing ok for a newer mouth call user. Imo your sequence is slightly off. But only in comparison to the way I call.
As I saw somewhere stated today the truth is some of the worst calls come from turkeys. Some are raspy n some not so much.
You can change pitch w tongue pressure. You're getting it don't stress to much. If you wanna hear some real Turks. Lovett Williams has some real turkey CDs that use the turkeys own voices. They're prob some of the best money you can spend. It'll teach you more fairly quickly than just hunting.

I was sitting on the couch, calling in front of my laptop with Soundcloud.

I mouth the word "yep", because any other word I mouth really just seems to draw the yelps out too long (probably just me, though).

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
Take this as constructive - to me it sounds like you are forcing it too much. And "yelling".

YELPYELPYELPYELP!!

Instead of yelp...yelp...yelp...yelp

Try for more separation and a 2 note. Keee-youk /  keee-youk / ke-youk / k'youk / k'youk - you avoid the "barking seal".

Keep at it!

So, maybe about a second in between each yelp? Does this sound better?

https://soundcloud.com/deerbasshunter3/yelp-2

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 10:58:20 PM »
My wife is giving me the stink eye, but here is another round with what I think are two-note yelps...

https://soundcloud.com/deerbasshunter3/more-yelps

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 11:07:57 PM »
My wife is giving me the stink eye, but here is another round with what I think are two-note yelps...

https://soundcloud.com/deerbasshunter3/more-yelps

LOL!

That sounds better. It's not so much about a set time between yelps as much as it is a distinct stop between the yelps. 

https://youtu.be/KGTwoWu1D2s

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 08:36:27 AM »
 Steelerfan is right, both the two note thing and the sequence

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 06:29:38 PM »
Any and everything else aside.................. nope.  Not too raspy IMHO.

Sounds like a big, ol' nasty boss hen.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.