turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Picture in pot call?

Started by turkeykiller22, March 15, 2017, 01:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about putting a picture in a pot call? I have a friend that recently contacted me, a friend of his unexpectedly lost his 20 year old son and was wanting to have 2 calls made in memory of the boy.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

southern_leo

I havent done this so you may test out another photo on the soundboard first, but I've read many use 3m adhesive spray

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Steve

mastevt

I use 3m spray adhesive.  Use a glass soundboard and hold it tight against the picture and align where you want it.  While holding it, in that position cut around it leaving a little excess to trim off.  Spray the soundboard and immediately apply the photo.  Don't wait like the instructions tell you so, and only spray the soundboard.  This allows you to move and adjust the pic and recenter it.  Let it dry, and use a fresh razor blade to trim off the excess.  I cut with the pic facing up, and pulling down on the razor blade against the glass.  You get a much cleaner edge this way.  Now, there is another way to put it on the back.  This is a bit more involved, and includes some cost in the resin.  But basically you put the pic on a thin hard flat piece of aluminum or glass, cutting in a recess in the back side of the call deep enough to glue in your piece.  Then after the glue dries, pour in the resin.  Now word of warning on this.  Bubbles will come up.  They are removed with a small torch.  The key is to get a good bead of glue down near the edge, so when you glue it in, it pushes a small amount up around the edge.  This seals the air underneath from working up.  Once the resin skins over, and air bubble apears, it can't get out, and it'll be trapped as it hardens further.  You can machine out the bubble once it hardens, but alot of care and patience is needed.  Then do another pour.  It fills in perfectly and you won't see your machine marks.  I advise on doing a couple trial runs first, to get the hang of it.  However, this is a viable way to put in a picture if you client wants a slate call.

southern_leo

Quote from: mastevt on March 17, 2017, 06:58:09 AM
I use 3m spray adhesive.  Use a glass soundboard and hold it tight against the picture and align where you want it.  While holding it, in that position cut around it leaving a little excess to trim off.  Spray the soundboard and immediately apply the photo.  Don't wait like the instructions tell you so, and only spray the soundboard.  This allows you to move and adjust the pic and recenter it.  Let it dry, and use a fresh razor blade to trim off the excess.  I cut with the pic facing up, and pulling down on the razor blade against the glass.  You get a much cleaner edge this way.  Now, there is another way to put it on the back.  This is a bit more involved, and includes some cost in the resin.  But basically you put the pic on a thin hard flat piece of aluminum or glass, cutting in a recess in the back side of the call deep enough to glue in your piece.  Then after the glue dries, pour in the resin.  Now word of warning on this.  Bubbles will come up.  They are removed with a small torch.  The key is to get a good bead of glue down near the edge, so when you glue it in, it pushes a small amount up around the edge.  This seals the air underneath from working up.  Once the resin skins over, and air bubble apears, it can't get out, and it'll be trapped as it hardens further.  You can machine out the bubble once it hardens, but alot of care and patience is needed.  Then do another pour.  It fills in perfectly and you won't see your machine marks.  I advise on doing a couple trial runs first, to get the hang of it.  However, this is a viable way to put in a picture if you client wants a slate call.
Wow great write up

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

billt

do you cover the whole pot in resin or just the recessed area of the picture

New Yorker

For more years than I can remember I have used any type of elders household or craft glue. Throw on a few lines,spread it evenly with my finger and attach picture or decal to the soundboard. I clean my fingers off the use my thumb across the top of the pic to smoothie the glue out working from the middle to the outside. Let it sit for three minutes, then flip it over picture side down so the weight of the soundboard holds the pic in place while the glue dries. Never had one single problem.

mastevt

Quote from: billt on April 01, 2017, 05:22:17 PM
do you cover the whole pot in resin or just the recessed area of the picture

Just the recessed area that your picture sits in.  But, make sure you do your finish work first.
Pouring the resin should be the very last step.