OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Learning a "Pot" Call

Started by MK M GOBL, March 15, 2017, 08:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Here is a sheet I created a while back when I started doing "Pot Call" seminars, I have this posted elsewhere and has been shared with a lot of folks over the years and for those "new" to turkey hunting and some seasoned hunters as well.

Hope it helps for those who are in the learning stage. (If you right click the sheet and "Open in New Window" you can view the whole sheet)

*Updated the sheet

MK M GOBL

TRG3

Good job of breaking it down so that you can practice. Also, don't forget YouTube where there are several examples of good calling techniques. Like many turkey hunters, I've called in hens and had them standing within 10', listening as they called to the "hen" that was earlier doing the calling. While hens all seems to sound similar, it is my opinion that their sound is as individual to other turkeys as is that when we listen to different people speaking, we just can't distinguish it. Best of luck with your hunting this season.

Bowguy

Great post, I agree w. Treerooster, choking up while purring works wonders for most guys

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Treerooster on March 15, 2017, 11:45:13 AM

However the drawing shows the sweet spot to be 1/3 in from the edge of the call. This is where it is IME, for the most part.

Good catch, It is supposed to be a 1/3 in from edge (note to self, I need to fix that)
*Fixed the sheet in my original post

I also sand 9-3, index finger sits at noon (call hand) and "Striker" hand rests by pinky. When I purr, cluck, cut and flydown my palm comes flat to base of surface and I pull striker towards palm (a little hard to describe) but my hand is more square to call. I also slide my index finger down close to tip of striker when I kee kee, the call will whistle easier this way.

MK M GOBL