only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Patience

Started by Flounder, March 14, 2017, 08:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flounder

pa·tience
?p?SH?ns/Submit
the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.

Enjoy every moment,sunrise and gobble as if it was your last.
The good Lord has blessed us all !!

catman529

Yep it can make or break a hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRG3

While it sometimes works out that the gobbler flies down, comes in to your calls, and you are back at the truck just as the sun comes up with a 23# bird, there are times when this scenario doesn't play out. After fly down, hens often take the gobbler away from your calling, leaving you just sitting there gazing at your decoys. All is not lost, however, since your calling has informed the gobbler where there's another hen that needs his attention. Later in the morning, anywhere from 8 o'clock to noon when the real hens have gone off to nest, that gobbler may come back to your calling of 5-6 hours earlier along with sporadic hen whelps as a reminder. This happened to me a couple of years ago when a tom showed up at 11:30 a.m. He was looking for just a little more action and thought he could find it after he attacked my Funky Chicken. Instead, he came home with me. What did I do during that 5-6 hour wait? I took a couple of naps, read my Bible, enjoyed the morning, etc. There will be plenty of times when the gobbler never comes back, but you can't kill them from the couch, so enjoy the morning and make hunting plans for tomorrow.

Cut N Run

Quote from: TRG3 on March 15, 2017, 10:41:00 AM
While it sometimes works out that the gobbler flies down, comes in to your calls, and you are back at the truck just as the sun comes up with a 23# bird, there are times when this scenario doesn't play out. After fly down, hens often take the gobbler away from your calling, leaving you just sitting there gazing at your decoys. All is not lost, however, since your calling has informed the gobbler where there's another hen that needs his attention. Later in the morning, anywhere from 8 o'clock to noon when the real hens have gone off to nest, that gobbler may come back to your calling of 5-6 hours earlier along with sporadic hen whelps as a reminder. This happened to me a couple of years ago when a tom showed up at 11:30 a.m. He was looking for just a little more action and thought he could find it after he attacked my Funky Chicken. Instead, he came home with me. What did I do during that 5-6 hour wait? I took a couple of naps, read my Bible, enjoyed the morning, etc. There will be plenty of times when the gobbler never comes back, but you can't kill them from the couch, so enjoy the morning and make hunting plans for tomorrow.

^Good advice. 
I do about the same, except I don't usually wait that long, and I don't carry a bible (I'm likely going to hell anyway...  from Sex, drugs, and rock & roll  :you_rock:)

Several years ago, a gobbler who was following hens early, gave me courtesy gobbles back to my calling as he continued to follow the hens.  More than a full hour after I last called, he came in silent behind me, then gobbled about 10 feet behind the tree I was sitting up against.  He almost blew the cap off my head.  I jumped on the inside & probably a little on the outside, but not enough to get busted.  I gave one quiet cluck on my mouth call and he worked his way around in front of my side of the tree and caught a face full of copper plated #6s at 7 yards. At 21 pounds 15 ounces, 10.75 inch beard, & 1.125 inch spurs, he was worth waiting for.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

MK M GOBL

I guess I would say I have some, Once I learn a bird and he has been able to beat me I kind of get determined about him. I have literally spent 4 seasons trying to kill a "certain" gobbler and spent countless hours trying to do so. And then the day came I beat him, on a day I never planned to hunt him and he went down that day.

Just thought I would share this with you!

I have had some history with this "bad" bird and have been hunting him for the past 3 years, he was the kind of bird who would always answer but never come in, seems he always had hens with him and 5 or 6 of them at a time. Well here we are in year #4 and have seen him out strutting with his harem of hens and have set-up on him a number of times this year already, actually killed a couple of satellite birds in his area during our first couple of seasons. So we are now into our 4th season and after a tough few days and a unsuccessful morning hunting with a buddy I was headed back to the house to mow my lawn that seriously needs it. My buddy says you can always mow lawn in 2 weeks when turkey season is over... Took his advice and went out to the blind, got the DSD's my Cody and BIG PUFFY out. Once I sat down this guy gobbles once at my hen talk and then shuts up, I gave him a few more calls and no response... Next thing I see is a head pop up in the field and disappear, the a fan appears and he is strutting in and doing the fast walk. Eleven minutes into it and he's down at 15 yards! This is the one I was after and he was lonely today. This is a bird that I knew all too well and finally taking this longbeard "Hook" was worth the wait! He weighed in at 23lbs 7oz, a 10 ½" beard and spurs were at 1 7/16"

MK M GOBL

RiverRoost

Killed a bird few years ago that I looked at my watch and said man in ready to get out of here. Then I told myself just go 30 minutes longer and in no time a gobbler hammered coming in looking for me. Ever since then, I've turkey hunted by the rule of whenever I get ready to leave, sit 30 minutes longer. Sometimes I gone through this 30 more min and I'm leaving cycle over and over and end up being hours before I leave. 30 minutes is a short enough time for your mind not to freak out over when you're ready to leave and a lot can happen in just 5 minutes!

rockymtngobblers

When I  first started I had no clue how to get a bird after I located the roost and I had was waaaay  to patient  and other than getting lucky my first year I went a few years without getting a bird, you have to know when to be patient and when to move.  If a gobbler is not coming in I'm either moving closer, getting ahead of him or going after him. In the afternoon I'll go back to the roost area and wait that's when I have all the patience in the world because I  know he will be there and then it begins again.

Female hunter hunting the wild turkey for over 20 years.
Earn your gobbler, no Roost shooting.

tha bugman

Quote from: Flounder on March 14, 2017, 08:46:18 PM
pa·tience
?p?SH?ns/Submit
the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.

Enjoy every moment,sunrise and gobble as if it was your last.
The good Lord has blessed us all !!
Amen brother and if you get to give him a free piggyback ride out of the woods that's just an added bonus!

Disney

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 23, 2017, 02:08:43 PM
Killed a bird few years ago that I looked at my watch and said man in ready to get out of here. Then I told myself just go 30 minutes longer and in no time a gobbler hammered coming in looking for me. Ever since then, I've turkey hunted by the rule of whenever I get ready to leave, sit 30 minutes longer. Sometimes I gone through this 30 more min and I'm leaving cycle over and over and end up being hours before I leave. 30 minutes is a short enough time for your mind not to freak out over when you're ready to leave and a lot can happen in just 5 minutes!

I totally agree. An old, oldtimer told me when you're ready to quit, give it another 15 minutes. You'd be surprised how many birds are killed in those last few minutes. Patience
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

thunderbirder

I just finished reading Tenth Legion by Tom Kelly and and it's a phenomenal book. It really motivated me for my first ever turkey hunt this coming Tuesday. It really portrays the essence of patience and being in the woods, in all of its stillness and just enjoying the moment. I cannot wait to get out there, turkey in the bag or not!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk