turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester LB's 1 3/4 oz. of #4's

Started by maytom, April 21, 2016, 01:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

+1  I want density as well as a nice halo as well. 
Quote from: Tom Foolery on May 01, 2016, 08:52:52 AM
Nice patterns

Looking them over is exactly why I go with 6's in lead and 7's in HTL.  There is not a single pellet in the brain spin @ 40yds and 1 in the brain/spine @ 50yds. 

Granted if the 40yds pattern was centered he's smoked, but if you're not on there could be trouble.

For patterns I say give me density and give me death.

bghunter777

I get tired of the 40 yards nonsense that is people stuck in the past technology has long since made 45-50 yards very very reasonable.

Bowguy

Quote from: bghunter777 on February 28, 2017, 03:30:15 PM
I get tired of the 40 yards nonsense that is people stuck in the past technology has long since made 45-50 yards very very reasonable.
It was already clearly stated in this thread, 40 yard shots in hunt situations are all Shannon allows us to speak of n for good reason imo.

mtns2hunt

I shoot LB #4's a lot and killed a Gobbler in New Mexico and one in VA last year with this load. However, and this is just my opinion, your 40 and 50 yard patterns are weak. I would not shoot this pattern beyond 35 yards. I would try out several different chokes as well as LB 6's for out to 40 yards and #4 LB beyond. I would look for a pattern that does not have holes and is very even. Some recommend deep cleaning to tighten up patterns. Its never worked for me but might be worth considering.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

BINK McCARTY

SHOOT AT BIGGER TARGETS!!!!! AT LEAST 3' X 3' THAT WAY YOU CAN SEE WHAT YOUR ENTIRE PATTERN IS TELLING YOU!!!!!! TRASH THE TURKEY HEADS!!!!!

mtns2hunt

Quote from: BINK McCARTY on March 23, 2017, 02:30:21 PM
SHOOT AT BIGGER TARGETS!!!!! AT LEAST 3' X 3' THAT WAY YOU CAN SEE WHAT YOUR ENTIRE PATTERN IS TELLING YOU!!!!!! TRASH THE TURKEY HEADS!!!!!

I would agree with shooting bigger targets before moving to just the head. A lead sled would also help narrow things down. Turkey loads can hammer you without the adrenalin and distraction of a big Tom. Just my two cents.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

ahfox16

I think for a 40 yard number 4 lead load its amazing.  I do think the pattern is pulled to the left about 4 to 6".  That turkey would be hammered at 40 yards if the pattern was centered..

bghunter777

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 27, 2016, 08:03:30 AM
They are amazing patterns for lead 4s. There has never been a lead shell that comes close to patterning as well as the LBs. Still, I question using lead 4s. If you look at the two patterns you shot at 40 and 50 yds, you will see that you would very possibly not have harvested either, but wounded both. You have a couple of grazing hits off the CNS skeletal structure, but I want half dozen or so every time I shoot the load. I realize you pulled one shot a little, but that is going to happen in the field a lot. Fours carry tremendous energy to way beyond where the pattern gives out. IMO 5s are a much, much better choice. They still have more than ample energy beyond any reasonable distance (way past 40 yds), and your chances of putting pellets in the CNS increase dramatically.

If I was really serious about not shooting past 40 as some on the site claim to be, I would use 6s. For everyone else, 5s are probably the best choice.

Simply not so that would have folded any turkey at both ranges.

owlhoot

Quote from: bghunter777 on April 06, 2017, 04:25:31 PM
Quote from: BandedSpur on April 27, 2016, 08:03:30 AM
They are amazing patterns for lead 4s. There has never been a lead shell that comes close to patterning as well as the LBs. Still, I question using lead 4s. If you look at the two patterns you shot at 40 and 50 yds, you will see that you would very possibly not have harvested either, but wounded both. You have a couple of grazing hits off the CNS skeletal structure, but I want half dozen or so every time I shoot the load. I realize you pulled one shot a little, but that is going to happen in the field a lot. Fours carry tremendous energy to way beyond where the pattern gives out. IMO 5s are a much, much better choice. They still have more than ample energy beyond any reasonable distance (way past 40 yds), and your chances of putting pellets in the CNS increase dramatically.

If I was really serious about not shooting past 40 as some on the site claim to be, I would use 6s. For everyone else, 5s are probably the best choice.

Simply not so that would have folded any turkey at both ranges.

4's have a habit of killing with hits like that..

SumToy

we have been doing more with the 4s this year.  I have seen alot of patterns that tuch to 150 to 160 at 40 yards.  They are bad news if you want to shoot lead.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

turkeykiller41

Would you  elaborate some on the #4 patterns and choke constrictions I am shooting a revelation 12 gauge single barrel with a 680 Carlsons flush with a 28'' barrel and getting 180s in the 10 at 40 with 3'' 1.75 oz #6s what kind of numbers do you think I could expect out of the 4s.

SumToy

We sen 150 to 160 with the 4s. Now that was 3.5 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA