OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TERRIBLE NUMBERS FROM H13 #6 TODAY BUT LONGBEARD #5's WERE GOOD AND EVEN  (Read 7703 times)

Offline learn2hide

• Check out www.hunterslink.com "The Break TV" on f
    • HuntersLink and The Break
Winchester Super X2
40 yards solid bench
 80 degrees
Some wind but not a ton

I shot a LongBeard XR 3.5 #5 first with the Rob Roberts 660 choke and got 178 in 10"  Very solid performance from a lead shell and about what I had done last year.  For shot 2 and 3 I had the same Hevi 13 #6 3.5 inch shells I've used before (3 left in this box) and I got 85 in 10" with my Rob Roberts .660 (previously has shot 215+ in 10" with same load) and 129 in 10" when I put in the .675 SumToy.  I recognize the barrel went from clean on shot 1 to dirty by this point but these were terrible performances.  The patterns were full of holes all, barely would have killed a turkey, and looked more like what a typical 60 plus yard pattern would look like.  For the 4th shot I put a LongBeard #5 through the SumToy and got a very even 181 in 10"

Easy thing to say is maybe I should just use the LongBeards, but the same gun choke shell combo that produced consistent 210+ in 10" in 2013 is now worse and worse I mean 85 hits in 10" for a HTL premium shell and a top end choke? ...what in the world could be causing this? My barrel gets a thorough cleaning (not full polishing) regularly.  And even with a dirty barrel both LongBeard loads shot pretty darn close together between clean and dirty shells

shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Offline BandedSpur

Different lot of HS 6s...happens all the time.

Online deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
I have a SX2 with a jellyhead choke and it is very consistent and even in 180's with the hevi shells. That second from top pic is the worst pattern pic I think I have ever seen. :z-dizzy:

Offline briton

Maybe its just me, but one thing i have learned over the years when dealing with hevi-shot is that you can expect to see some crazy inconsistencies not only box to box but also from shell to shell. I jumped on the long beard train myself because of this. The LB 4,5, and 6's do great out of my factory remington turkey/predator choke.

Offline learn2hide

I know its by far the worst Ive seen.  Pretty sure i could get 85 with a modified choke and 2 3/4" win XX #4s...
I have a SX2 with a jellyhead choke and it is very consistent and even in 180's with the hevi shells. That second from top pic is the worst pattern pic I think I have ever seen. :z-dizzy:
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Offline ridgerunner

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Roosted ain't Roasted!
    • www.feathercreekcalls.com
One thing to remember is old shells from last yr may not be as " hot" as new shells..I've found shells that set around a couple years lose some punch that can cause poor patterns.

Offline buck_hunter21

• The Boss Gobbler
I have seen a lot of variation from lot number to lot number, never from shell to shell. But 85 at 40 yards is pitiful.
Spill Blood

Offline learn2hide

3rd confirmed issue with H13... I had a bad box once that all shot under 150 while other lots shot over 210...which Hevi replaced...this issue with at least one extremely poor shell and one that was better but still bad. I also once had a HeviMetal #3 mixed into a box which HeviShot blamed on the retail store...Gotta say they may very well have lost my business
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 10:19:01 PM by learn2hide »

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Stick with LBs. I still have to go out and pattern my SX2.

Offline matchbook454

I'd be happy with 85!  Just shot some and got a 62.  Next shot was a 106.  This is horrible!  I've also always averaged over 210 with these loads and my 835/Jellyhead combo. Hevi is going to replace them though.  Have too give them credit for that.  What's the lt number you had?  Mine was 301405.

Offline learn2hide

it wasnt that lot#... they also agreed to send me new shells I sent them the remaining shell from that box  and all the targets i shot with them....happy with their customer service...but the unknown just drives me nuts....i had inconsistent results with the Indian Creek .665 and .675 didnt get good numbers till i used 660 Rob Roberts and now also 675 SumToy has done well [Author=matchbook454 link=topic=54006.msg540310#msg540310 date=1428625818]
I'd be happy with 85!  Just shot some and got a 62.  Next shot was a 106.  This is horrible!  I've also always averaged over 210 with these loads and my 835/Jellyhead combo. Hevi is going to replace them though.  Have too give them credit for that.  What's the lt number you had?  Mine was 301405.
[/quote]

Offline penna shooter

LB #4 & #5 are proven solid results...
Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.