OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Opening Day!  (Read 4654 times)

Offline RollTideHunt85

Opening Day!
« on: March 14, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »
Tomorrow is Opening Day of the Alabama Season. Temps suppose to be 29 to 50 degrees. What is the best way to go about hunting turkeys with those temps? Do I go out before day light or wait until sun comes up?  With the low being 29 degrees I just think that they will stay on the roost longer.  Maybe not though. What are yalls thoughts?

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
Re: Opening Day!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 12:23:24 PM »
Id go before daylight. Better early than late.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 12:26:31 PM »
Sounds like a hunting house with a heater wouldn't be a bad idea...lol...what about the wind ?

Offline RollTideHunt85

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 12:29:41 PM »
Wind is suppose to be 8mph. NNW. Now they changed to low to 24. But forecast says full of sunshine.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »
Do you have any hunting houses on the place ? If so use one of those as a hunting blind..your going to have a hard time staying warm without a lot of moving around, and the odds of you killing a turkey is about 25 percent. At least with a hunting house and decoy out you have a 50 / 50 chance...

Offline dejake

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »
you'll warm up real quick as soon as you hear that first gobble

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 01:26:04 PM »
Turkeys are not going to gobble near as much with it 24 deg.. So by the time you hear a gobble you may be back at the truck getting warm...good luck...stay warm season is early and better weather to come...

Offline dejake

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 01:35:09 PM »
RollTide - get out there and have fun!

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Opening Day!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 03:17:53 PM »
I'd go early and listen for roost gobbles so you get an idea where to start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 04:00:16 PM »
Turkeys will definitely gobble in cold clear weather.  I should have had a bird on a morning just like that two years ago but I screwed it up.  Get out there and hunt like it was 50 degrees.  Just dress a little warmer.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 06:29:48 PM »
Birds will still gobble in the cold. If you can roost one tonight go for it. You'll know exactly where to be come daylight. If not head to a known roost area n start there., don't run out too quick. Give em a chance to fire up. If it's not too leafy n you're early enough you oughta see them in the trees even if you can't roost tonight. I use no light. It'll spook em. Good luck!

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 10:57:20 AM »
The first of five Southern Illinois turkey seasons comes in the first Monday in April. You'd think it would be nice and warm, but last year found me in insulated coveralls. I've seen the snow fly in early April, also. Having said all of that, it didn't seem to have much effect on the turkeys as gobblers sounded off on the roost and hens yelped. My quickest hunt happened when the temperature hovered around 20 degrees, cold enough that I didn't show up in the turkey woods until around 9 a.m. Fortunately for me, another hunter spooked a tom and hen which ran by me at 20 yards before I could even set out my decoys!

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 01:15:49 AM »
Do you have any hunting houses on the place ? If so use one of those as a hunting blind..your going to have a hard time staying warm without a lot of moving around, and the odds of you killing a turkey is about 25 percent. At least with a hunting house and decoy out you have a 50 / 50 chance...

How do you formulate odds on a turkey hunt?

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 02:11:43 AM »
You can kill them in the snow, cold, wind and rain and they will do their thing, play the game! Just can't kill them if your not out there, no different than dressing for late season deer hunts, watch your calls they can freeze up. I use hand muff with hand warmer too.

Rain & Snow

MK M GOBL

Offline Forked lighting

Opening Day!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »
29° in turkey season.no big deal  just wear more clothes

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk