OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Question on affordable basics  (Read 2933 times)

Offline zhodani77

Question on affordable basics
« on: March 14, 2017, 11:18:12 AM »
Last year was My First Year Turkey and Deer Hunting ( Hens walked past me and never saw me but never seen a tom except strutting next to interstate or in driveways where i could not hunt. ( Bagged a Button Buck)

I Have a Leafy Gilly Suit , I have Now Purchased a Mossburg 835

What is the Top 5 Red dot scopes with good magnification, can be used in lowlight well. ( $100 or under)
What is the Top 3 shells to use, I can use up to 3 1/2" with the gun. ( Pattern, Range, consistency)
Do I need a diff choke than the one that comes standard with the mossburg 835

Factors in my hunting ( additional suggestions welcome)

I Hunt Olive Hill in Carter County, Ky. 41164  ( Lots of Hills )
I am near 450 pounds and do not move fast
Sitting on the ground hurts legs and such ; In a blind/ chair is ok

Offline wcerin

Re: Question on affordable basics
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 11:40:53 AM »
Use the Turkey Guns Mossberg section of this forum to get an idea of what shells pattern well with what chokes out of an 835. I also shoot an 835 and use a Stardot choke with Winchester LB XR 3" #6 to be the best hunting pattern in my gun.
“Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all.”

Offline zhodani77

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 12:25:24 PM »
Thank You, exactly the kind of info I need

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 12:31:54 PM »
Just use the choke with the gun and 3 in. 6 long beards. If you have turkeys and say a hunting house in the area with a chair, get you a hen decoy out and just do some blind calling and be patience...

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:26:40 PM »
I've hunted w a 835 for I think around 27 years now. I use the factory choke n XX supremes. Back when I got the gun basically Remington, federal, Winchester was about it. XX patterned the best.
Chokes may have changed but friends of mine have newer chokes n newer guns n they shoot great. Some of them shoot hevi shot.
I will say I did try the longbeards one year out of that gun n they shot slightly to the side so I needed sights. I've since removed them n shoot that gun like always w the same loads. The consistancy is great n at a reasonable range they're on the money.
My brother has a cheap I think Tru glo on his for about 6-8 years. Don't quote me but it's never given him any trouble n was 80 bucks-another I think.
Not many options in the red dot under 100, remember you still need to mount it n need a rail or other way. That adds to the cost.

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 07:40:49 PM »
While you may sound like a hen in order to bring in a gobbler, by watching hunting videos you'll notice that the tom decoy is where the incoming real bird almost exclusively directs his attention. Based on this, I feel a good gobbler decoy, either a jake or strutter, in addition to a hen or two greatly helps in bringing the tom close enough that it really doesn't matter what gun/shell combo you are using if you can keep your shots to 20 yards or so. I set my decoys at this distance which has allowed me to take them with flintlock muzzleloader fowlers, black powder hammer double barrels, 2 3/4" field loads as well as 3" magnums. Let the gobbler get in close and enjoy the antics! By-the-way, if the gobbler seems to be hung up somewhere out there, throw in a few gobbles to make him think that another tom has beaten him to the hen. This will often bring in the real bird to check out the intruder.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 10:20:05 PM »
Last thing I would purchase would be the scope...  I can see where they would be nice, and I have missed a bird, but generally, a turkey on the ground at close range is an easy shot to make...  Spend the money on a decent box call and get the bird in range.

3" Hevi-shot is over-kill, but probably worth it to me...  It will reach out and hold tighter patterns out a bit further, and it is a great shell to have in the gun if you underestimate the range on a bird.  Turkey hunting is not high volume shooting, and will likely spend far more on gas than you do on shells shot during the season.

I shoot a Beretta, but I am currently using a standard full choke, and used to shoot an X-full turkey choke...  I think I am more likely to miss a close shot with the X-full than I am to lose out on a shot with the full...  Especially when using Hevi-shot shells which hold a tighter pattern than lead.

Decoys...  If you decide you are not going to turkey hunt much, DSD decoys hold their price well...  IF you decide you do not want to spend that much, there are a number of cheaper and less realistic looking decoys out there...  I doubt that the improved realism of the DSD decoys actually puts more birds in the truck most times...  However, be careful when purchasing cheap jake decoys, cause the head color and postures of some seems to create more fear than aggressive curiosity.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline zhodani77

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 01:11:50 AM »
 I have 2 Box calls, 1 Hen decoy, Factory Choke at the moment, Tru-Glo TG8030B2 2x Red Dot scope on a Weaver Rail Mounted to my Mossberg 835 Ultimag.

I want 1 more hen and Strutting Tom, Then knowledge on where they roost and where they hit the ground at ( but don't we all)

I always pull the left slightly ( I think its because I have a death grip with my left arm on the pump Pulling back into my shoulder to avoid so much kick)

I been shooting at 40 yds, I have used mainly Federal Strut-shok 3.5" 2 oz Magnum #6
Not impressed at all with the Pattern or Grouping.
Tried a Couple 2 3/4 #5 and they did a little better but not much they were Winchester XX

I am Thinking of Buying a Colonial Arms Choke ( about same as old Star-dot from what I read) .676
http://www.colonialchokeandtool.com/compare/168/187

I cant afford hevi-shot right now, so is Long beard XR ammo the next comparable shell
what ammo is Most recommended with Factory and with a .676 choke
what size shot, ( I was looking at the combo shells 4-5-6 combo)

Anyone with Dirt Cheap used or new for that fact items I need/want can email me at zhodani77@yahoo.com.

Offline rockymtngobblers

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 06:46:27 AM »
You can try truglo sites instead of a scope, worked well for me. Drive roads at night or early morning using a coyote call turn car off so you can hear, you will hear more gobblers if you stay high, Mark the area you find gobblers at and check a map for the easiest way in to set up above them if they don't  come ur way be where they went the next am, don't forget they have to come back to roost so being where you started  after say 3 pm till fly up can be very successful. Good luck !
Female hunter hunting the wild turkey for over 20 years.
Earn your gobbler, no Roost shooting.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 10:07:22 AM »
Just use the choke with the gun and 3 in. 6 long beards. If you have turkeys and say a hunting house in the area with a chair, get you a hen decoy out and just do some blind calling and be patience...
+1