OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Vortex Venom  (Read 9527 times)

Offline alclark2

Vortex Venom
« on: March 14, 2017, 08:37:15 AM »
Vortex by

I mounted up the Venom before my Bama trip in a few weeks.
Look out Gobblers!
-Aaron
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Offline Swampchickin234

• The Boss Gobbler
Vortex Venom
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 08:49:45 AM »
I like it. ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Swampchickin234

• The Boss Gobbler
Vortex Venom
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 08:49:57 AM »
????

Offline Swampchickin234

• The Boss Gobbler
Vortex Venom
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 08:50:29 AM »
Thumbs up;;;

Offline Swampchickin234

• The Boss Gobbler
Vortex Venom
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 08:51:01 AM »
Supposed to be thumbs up.  Lol

Offline BABS9

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Vortex Venom
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 09:12:37 AM »
How you like it? thinking about picking one up myself

Offline jwork

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »
Just got mine in the mail for my 870 20 gauge. Unfortunately it came with the wrong mount. I'm using the b square and need the weaver mount. I cant wait to get it on and give it a go.

Offline Bolandstrutters

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 08:45:29 PM »
Do not use thread locker with these sights.  I've stripped out two bases with the smallest amount of thread locker.  Vortex is freaking awesome though, sending me another one free even though I screwed them both up.

Offline Txag12

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 10:18:56 PM »
Mounted one on my 870...love it even tho I was skeptical and couldn't decide between it an the fastfire. Vortex actually recommended me using blue thread locker and gave me the recommended torque specs...solid as a rock and glad I did as I never want it to move

Offline Bolandstrutters

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 07:00:37 AM »
Mounted one on my 870...love it even tho I was skeptical and couldn't decide between it an the fastfire. Vortex actually recommended me using blue thread locker and gave me the recommended torque specs...solid as a rock and glad I did as I never want it to move

That's funny, they told me not to and to use 15-20 inch pounds on the screws that hold the sight to the base.  The two bases stripped out extremely easy. 

Offline Txag12

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 03:07:30 PM »
Lol funny. We must have talked to different people. I was told 15-20 ft lbs as well but that loctite is recommended if keeping it on permanently. At least they got you fixed up with another sight!

Offline alclark2

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 03:45:06 PM »
Do not use thread locker with these sights.  I've stripped out two bases with the smallest amount of thread locker.  Vortex is freaking awesome though, sending me another one free even though I screwed them both up.

I did that to one also. I didn't know it was the thread locker that caused it. luck would have it that I sold another and didn't use the base and I had an extra. The folks at vortex said no go on the threadlocker huh? interesting.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Offline alclark2

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »
How you like it? thinking about picking one up myself

Weather finally cleared up and I got it sighted in at the 20. Time to dial in at 40. I like it so far... One issue I have with red dots is that I had an eye injury that apparently left me with an astigmatism (sp?) in my right eye. Real crispy with the left eye however. Auto brightness if you're into that.. I like it turned down and manual adjustability. I'm a fan overall.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Offline alclark2

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 03:56:23 PM »
Lol funny. We must have talked to different people. I was told 15-20 ft lbs as well but that loctite is recommended if keeping it on permanently. At least they got you fixed up with another sight!

I did the first one at 20 inch pounds with blue TL and stripped one side. Did the second at 15 inch pounds with thread locker and it was fine.  ??? Hopefully it NEVER moves. That's what I was going for haha
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Offline Bolandstrutters

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 10:57:02 PM »

I did the first one at 20 inch pounds with blue TL and stripped one side. Did the second at 15 inch pounds with thread locker and it was fine.  ??? Hopefully it NEVER moves. That's what I was going for haha

One guy from vortex told me to use thread locker and then the next guy told me not to and wanted the name of the other guy who told me to use it!  I was only able to get about 12 inch pounds on the screws.  Didn't want to strip out a third one!