OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What time to get in the woods ?  (Read 18279 times)

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: What time to get in the woods ?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2017, 01:16:46 PM »
After 27 Springs of Spring turkey hunting on very crowded gun club lands and public lands-- I know I can help some novice Spring turkey hunters here. I always make it a point to be the first guy to park . Usually 3.40am will do just that. Now I know this is super early- but I start to see the next Spring turkey hunter pull in around 3.50 usually. More will come right at 4.00am and the majority will be pulling up at 4.30am or so.
    I usually have my Mountain bike outside my truck and I am ready to go. If, I have a 2 mile bike ride, I have time to see everyone come in. My advice to novice public land Spring turkey hunters is to pull into your parking area at 3.40am. Odds are- you will be first. Just be ready to also walk in first if you have a long walk. 28th Spring is coming up and like Bowguy, I will be out very early for the New Jersey Opener.

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 12:47:25 AM »
I don't roost birds, never have.I do know the areas where they roost.I know where they come out into the field. I know where they like to hit the crick. I know where they like to loaf. I'm going after a 30 pounder this fall, wish me luck.

Offline falltoms

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 07:45:40 PM »
I would rather be 2 hours early than 1 minute late.

Offline idgobble

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 09:10:26 PM »
About 8am works well for me, maybe 9am.  I've shot most of my turkeys after 10am even when I started before first light. Prime time for me is 10am--1pm.  I've often heard gobblers with hens at first light and stayed in their vicinity until I could tell the hens had gone to attend to nesting, usually around 10--11am and then the gobbler got more vocal.  That's a great time to call them in.  If I were going to bet $ I could get a turkey that day I'd locate them at or before dawn and then not try to call him in until about 11am.  Depends a little on the time of the season but that's worked well for me for 50 years.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2018, 10:59:37 AM »

Early bird gets the worm but when your schedule allows.  Some swear by sleeping in and hitting the woods when everyone else has called it quits.  9am-12 noon can be a magical time but so can off the roost.  I really enjoy watching the day come to life so I'm an early bird gets the "bird" kinda guy. 

I too enjoy hearing the woods wake up. There is nothing like it. Sure most of the birds I strike and call in are later on in the day, but the first hour of daylight is the best

Add me to this list.  Being there early is not about killing a turkey, its about walking through the woods under a night sky full of stars,....about waiting for that first morning gobble, and every one after that.  Its about sitting down at my chosen set-up tree in the dark taking it all in, and contemplating, with great anticipation, how the morning will unfold,...wondering if I have made the right decision on where to sit,...wondering if that gobbler will come right to me off the roost,...or make me work for him,...or even if, after all is said and done, he will win and I will be walking out of the woods empty-handed,...and anticipating doing it all again the next morning. 

Being there at that time, for me, is not an option,...it is an absolute necessity for me and my enjoyment as a spring gobbler hunter. 

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2018, 11:00:50 PM »
There's multiple variables. If I don't know where they roost I burn one day and listen to get an idea where they're roosting. Then next time I go in further much earlier.  But this is on private land where I don't have to worry about hunters moving in on gobbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BottomLand54

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 02:20:52 PM »
I say sleep in eat a big breakfast.... wave at all the other hunters as there tired and gave up and get there about 10:30 am and hunt till 2:30 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
Re: What time to get in the woods ? Igh
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2018, 05:23:18 PM »
Nautical twilight.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Online 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2018, 05:52:36 PM »
Funny Sil!

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2018, 09:49:52 PM »
I would rather be 2 hours early than 1 minute late.
I read thru the posts I figured somebody would use this quote but it is my motto as well. I very rarely hunt were there are any pastures or fields so I like darkness and plenty of time to get to wear I want to be without a lot of noise. I have several times roosted   a gobbler and paced or counted my steps to a down tree creek etc. so I could get back in the dark. Leave the boots at the truck and ease back in the black dark. I don't think 2 hours before daylight is too early many times I've walked past a gobbler on the limb and had him sound off close behind me at daylight.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2018, 10:38:39 PM »
I have always been the type to get out there 2 or 3 hours before the light comes up, I do not move the best so I want to get in there and then let things settle down before the sun comes up. I used to walk with a cane so that was the other reason I would get there early. I do the same for deer season.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline GunRunner

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 10:27:44 PM »
Opening morning or a really hot spot on a Saturday morning on public land, I like to be super early, like an hour or more before daylight.

An hour or more before daylight is not SUPER EARLY in my opinion.  It is the absolute minimum.  Do not use flashlights...and if you need light use a red or green muffled light.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2018, 12:07:51 AM »

[/quote] Do not use flashlights...and if you need light use a red or green muffled light. [/quote]

I agree.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2018, 04:21:42 PM »
Funny Sil!

Bailey, there are some sunrise/moonrise tables on the net and I have printed out what I need for the season.  One of the options is Nautical Light is one of the options.  I find that is plenty good time, unless parking has become a problem.  Just giving someone a time for tomorrow doesn't do one much good a month later.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2018, 05:47:40 PM »
I like an hour before sunrise to let the woods settle back down.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.