turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Newbie just starting out in need of some help

Started by jbo225, March 11, 2017, 07:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

QuoteOne thing that I have not seen mentioned is that I do NOT call at a bird I can see...  They can pinpoint sound exceptionally well...  If you feel you must call at a close bird that is visible, wait till he gets behind a rock, shrub or tree, or goes into a dip...

Like calling ducks, I call at arses and elbows.  When they are coming, let them come. If you are looking at them (ducks and turkeys), you can see their reaction and know what to do.  Geese are different.  Call them until you either run out of air or are sitting up to shoot them! 

Amen on them coming in slow and being patient.  They do things on turkey time, not turkey hunting time.  If you watch a lot of those videos closely, you can tell they have edited out the parts where the bird was dawdling on their way in. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

3bailey3

One tip I would give if you have one gobble on the ground and  he has answered you make a move, go 30 yards to your right and turn around because they will always come in behind you and off your right shoulder!

tha bugman

Happy

Quote from: 3bailey3 on March 28, 2017, 09:27:37 PM
One tip I would give if you have one gobble on the ground and  he has answered you make a move, go 30 yards to your right and turn around because they will always come in behind you and off your right shoulder!
What if a 50' cliff is 25 yards to my right?

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

Then hold on to your gun tight.  Those last five yards are going to be rough.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

:TooFunny: That's what I was afraid of. This turkey hunting is starting to confuse me with all these rules. My yellow notepad is full and by the time I find the right rule and apply it the turkey done lost interest. Getting to be a health hazard too.

guesswho

Yep.  That's why I shoot the turkey first then look at the notebook to see what all I did wrong.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

3bailey3

Happy I have called in 8 birds this year and only one have I carried out, my point about moving was more that they will show up where you lest expected, yesterday I had one coming down a levee road, water on the back side and a ditch on the other, he had to come down the road right, at 35 yards he takes a hard left down in the ditch and walks by at 15 steps, I had a tree there because I said no way he would go that way. Sickening to watch one go by so close and you can't do anything. The day before I got two to finally commit they pop up the spot I least expect and I tried to move, game over again. Is it easy no but I fried the one I harvested last night and it was so awesome!

rockymtngobblers

Wii you really  need to know is the yelp use it in a sequence of 5 -7 if you know nothing else know  that.
Female hunter hunting the wild turkey for over 20 years.
Earn your gobbler, no Roost shooting.

Happy

3bailey3,
I apologize if I rubbed you wrong and maybe this works great for you and if so keep it up. Maybe your further along in this game than I and that's fine. My experience Has led me to deal with things a little differently but to each their own. I have some rules of thumb I use but I tend to approach things with more of an eye towards terrain and the gobblers mood. My experience has led me to believe that you take very few things for granted in dealing with these birds and I am hesitant to say that they will always react in a particular fashion. When you think they won't, they will and vice versa. It's what makes the game interesting.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

quavers59

I once had a Primos box cutter . Lost it in a wetland area. Very easy to cutt on and you have one fine box caller there! Good luck out there.