OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Newbie just starting out in need of some help

Started by jbo225, March 11, 2017, 07:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbo225

Just like its stated im new to the turkey hunting scene when I was a kid I used to love playing with my dads old Quaker boy box call so I went out and bought me a Primos Box cutter last year and practiced on it listening to you tube videos and other things to get myself sounding semi good and ready for this spring gobbler. So with that being said I have no clue on a calling sequence, no clue how to call them in I know how to use a box call just don't know what calls to use. Any help would we much appreciated.

Bowguy

Welcome to OG. Gonna tell you something I tell everyone. Don't get your information from you tube. Some good guys some bad. Anyone can post and as a beginner you'll have no idea as to who is who.
Lovett Williams has some good CDs. You can hear turkey calls and sequence from live birds. The CDs are 10 bucks.
Dr Williams was a turkey biologist, he goes into reasons they call, how to mimic, when, etc.
there's no guarantees though.
You're best bet is to ask single questions as to what you want to know, such as if you hear a bird gobble close what do you try?
There are dif methods for starters  ,n others may have different advice, is to learn where you're birds are. From there be set up undetected before daylight. I use no light going in.
If you set up n have a bird close n he's on the ground a few yelps or clucks may get his attn. If he gobbles I'd allow him to gobble more than I called, kinda play coy-hard to get. When he's coming stop calling n let him look for you. If he hangs up wait a bit n a few soft purrs, clucks or leaf scratching like a feeding hen may get him to display closer. There's lots of scenarios n that's very basic.
Read through some other learn to hunt n method threads.  Ask anything you need to know

GobbleNut

If you have taken the time to listen to turkey calling, either real or artificial, and you have a basic idea of how to sound like a turkey, you should be fine.  The great  majority of gobblers that are killed are taken by hunters doing nothing more than yelping to them.  Learn how to yelp with your calls and go hunting.  There is no secret sequence of calls or calling method. 

If there is any one piece of advice that you should probably adhere to, it is this:  Always start out conservatively with your calling (soft, short series of yelps) and see how the turkey(s) you are calling respond.  Assess how the turkeys are reacting to your calling, and adjust as needed.  If it appears you need to get more aggressive (louder and longer series of yelps), then try that.  Hopefully, you will end up hitting on something he/they like,...and they will come.

You go out hunting, find a gobbler (and/or hens) that is willing to come investigate your calling,...and when he gets there, you shoot him,...simple as that.  Yes, it can get more complicated in some circumstances,...and over time, you will learn how to address those situations, but always assume the simple stuff will work first.  Most of the time it will,... if the gobbler you are calling to is willing to play the game at all. 

jbo225

ok thanks so say I hear him early morning where do I go from there calling wise?

ilbucksndux

I for one DO NOT call at a turkey in a tree. I will make maybe 3-4 tree yelps when its just about time for him to fly down but thats it.
Gary Bartlow

GobbleNut

There are two types of gobblers in the early morning,...those that are still in the trees,...and those that have flown down and are on the ground. 

If you can tell he is still on the roost, get as close as you can without risking being seen, find a place to sit down where you are inconspicuous, and wait.  Generally speaking, you do not want to call to a gobbler that is on the roost much, if at all.  It is almost never a good thing to sit there and call back and forth to a gobbler on the roost that is gobbling back at your calling.  It's fun and you think it must be doing some good because he is answering, but in most cases it is a mistake.

When he flies down to the ground,...which you may be able to hear from the wing beats, or because if he gobbles it will sound different, that is when you want to start testing him with calling,...soft, conservative stuff at first to gauge him.  If he is acting interested, call to him just enough to keep his attention, and hopefully, moving toward you.  If you can tell that he is moving toward you, get ready and into shooting position because he will likely come looking for you.

More likely, he will either hold his ground, or start moving away from you.  If, by his gobbling, you can tell he is moving away, that is the time to try a bit more aggressive calling (longer and louder yelping).  Occasionally, that will turn him back.  Once you have hunted enough to know the nuances of using other calls (cutting, aggressive purring, etc.), you can try those, as well. 

Carefully re-positioning on birds that you can tell are gradually moving away from you is the next tactic.  Again, generally speaking, trying to get in front of moving birds is a better tactic than just trying to follow along behind, although there are time when a gobbler will turn back towards a hen (you) that is following him and using the right calling tactics. 

What are the "right calling tactics" in those instances?  That is anybody's guess.  Just keep trying to sound like a real turkey as much as possible, adjust a bit between calls to gauge his response, and see what happens.  At any time, he seems to become more interested,...and especially if he starts coming to you,...then get ready and call just enough to make sure he is still coming along. 

When he shows up,....shoot him in the face.   ;D

Greg Massey

Learn to yelp, purr, cluck learn what a gobbler sounds like..spend as much time in the woods with turkeys learning and listening. Have a lot of patience's and patience's again, don't move around a lot, take snacks and water, so your not back at the truck at 9 clock wanting to find something to eat. Wear clothing to conceal your movement and a good pair of boots and socks, good foot wear is a must in my book...make sure your choke and gun is shooting POA/POI with a good quality shell, for a beginner i would look at number 6 shot. Get you a vest or bag to carry all your gear and keep it simple, don't over load yourself...get you a single hen decoy, this will be good for a beginner in helping you learn more about turkey behavior with either gobblers or hens. AND TO HUNT TURKEYS YOU NEED TURKEYS TO HUNT .....

jbo225

I'm from central Virginia I've seen plenty during deer season (them passing through) and have a good amount on trail camera. I just now need to figure out where they are roosting. my last thing is I want to get a few decoys what combination of decoys should I get 2 hens and a jake? and in what position should they be sat

silvestris

Anyone can learn to make decent sounding turkey noises and if they go often enough the stars will line up and a gobbler will respond to the call.  Learning turkey language is an altogether different matter and there are no shortcuts to learning what to say, when to say it and just how to say it in a manner that consistently brings gobblers to the gun.  I can't teach it and I doubt that anyone else can.  It takes much experience in recognizing situations and gobbler personalities and honest self-evaluation.  Only the long road of the school of hard knocks can teach it and that is how it should be.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Greg Massey

Quote from: jbo225 on March 11, 2017, 01:53:12 PM
I'm from central Virginia I've seen plenty during deer season (them passing through) and have a good amount on trail camera. I just now need to figure out where they are roosting. my last thing is I want to get a few decoys what combination of decoys should I get 2 hens and a jake? and in what position should they be sat
Just starting out get you a single upright hen decoy.. DSD or Avian X...then if you decide later on you don't like using a decoy you can sell these types most of the time ...

g8rvet

some of the ugliest calling I have heard in my life came from live hens.  Breaking all the rules of what turkeys are supposed to sound like.  Be where he wants to be before he is there and don't go nuts with your calling and you will have a chance.  Most of all, every time you do not kill a bird, look back at what happened and assume you messed up and ask yourself what you could have done different.  Turkeys are random, wary and dumb.  Don't over estimate their intelligence, but don't under estimate their spookiness or their senses (sight and hearing). 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

catman529

Really all you need to start are just good series of a few yelps and only enough to get that toms interest and then when you know he's responding to you then be quiet for a while. Calling is only a part of hunting turkeys, learning their habits and the land you hunt is important too. Experience is the best teacher, but people here as well as YouTube videos can help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

Decoys are a confusing subject for many...

Sometimes a Tom will hang up on hen decoys and strut for them just out of range (whereas the bird probably would have continued forward motion looking for that elusive hen).  Sometimes they will come into a hen decoy when they might have been hesitant to come in.

Hunting a large open area, there is probably an overall benefit to hunting with a decoy or decoys...  I have found it difficult to call a bird into an open area when it cannot see the hen that should be there.

When using just hen decoys, I try to set them facing away from the direction that the birds will be coming from...  The toms will be more likely to want to get in front of her to display for her.

Jake decoys create a similar situation as hen decoys...  Personally, I feel that in general there is a benefit to having a jake decoy along with the hen decoy (or decoys).  Interestingly, the tom will almost always address the jake decoy before the hen decoys.  But, I have had more than one bird see my jake decoy and go running for the hills though.

Two situations I might use decoys are early in the season with henned up birds that can see my jake decoy with a hen decoy (hopefully instigating that aggressive nature), or an open area that a bird would be hesitant to approach without seeing a hen.

As a right-handed shooter, I always put my decoys to my left, cause it is easier to swing the gun in that direction.

If you are moving in on a bird and he gobbles closer than you thought he was, screw the decoys and sit down and let him come.

I tend to leave the decoys in the truck more and more often, as I feel I have NOT killed more birds because of using decoys than I have killed because of using them.

GobbleNut and others gave some excellent advice on calling...  I generally call as little as possible and as much as necessary...  Sometimes playing a bit "hard-to-get" can be very effective, and other times you need to sound like a drunk slut...  The basic "yelp" has probably killed more birds than all other types of calling together...

One thing that I have not seen mentioned is that I do NOT call at a bird I can see...  They can pinpoint sound exceptionally well...  If you feel you must call at a close bird that is visible, wait till he gets behind a rock, shrub or tree, or goes into a dip...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

MK M GOBL

There is a lot to hunting with decoys and hunting them "right", I use DSD (the best you're going to find) and have had amazing results using a Strutter decoy with an Upright and Feeding hen. I have posted a bit of info here on decoy use. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.msg691675.html#msg691675

Some of "my" basic set rules are

* Dominant decoy Strutter/Jake are set at 15 yards to strong side (closest to you)
* Upright is set closest to dominant decoy Strutter/Jake
* Never set next to each other, set them with "elbow room"
* Decoys need to be seen to work, Set with that in mind. (rarely used in timber hunts)
* When I Run & Gun I go with Jake & Upright
* If Public Land hunts be smart, NO Strutter or Jake...

*Still a lot more to this to hunting them "Right", As I always say "Just ask the question"

MK M GOBL

kdsberman

I think the guys who posted already really summed it up with some good info.  So.. let me add this.  Since it is your first season, I want to stress PATIENCE to you.  Do not take that lightly.  All the TV shows make it look easy:  they do a few loud yelps or cutts, hear them gobble in the distance, set up and watch them come in and shoot em.  Not always that easy.  Just because u don't hear them doesn't mean they aren't there.  Some days they won't shut up, some days they won't make a peep.  Always be ready and always stay focused and confident.  Learn from your observations of the turkeys and learn from your mistakes.

Get ready to be addicted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk