OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Long Beard 20ga

Started by Captaintopwater, March 10, 2017, 05:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captaintopwater

Well here's my review of the 20ga Long Beards. They left a lot to be desired. To say I was disappointed is a understatement. They didn't pattern any better than regular Winchester Super X did. I would not shoot them past 35 yards in my set up.  I didn't even bother keepin the targets I was so mad.  I shot them through a 26" barreled 870 with a Truglo SSX choke. I have shot 160s in the 10" with this set up and Fed heavyweight 7s.

turkeykiller41

I have heard that they do better thru a more open choke I am going to try them with a RSF choke tube.

Captaintopwater

That's what I was thinkin.  I'm not messin with another choke when HW 7s shoot so good.

Stumpy225

Shoot some a couple of weeks ago to try out. Yeah I'll be sticking with the heavyweight 7's

Mid-Tenn

I guess I'm the only one that has had a good outcome with them.
Tried them along with five other brands of shells, out of all fired the LB #5's had the best pattern with the Fed HW #7's a close second.

I was shooting them out of my daughter's gun, Stevens 320 Youth Compact, 22" barrel with a Primos Tightwad .570 choke.

turkeykiller41

So what kind of pattern did you get and how far where you shooting.

Captaintopwater

Quote from: turkeykiller41 on March 16, 2017, 01:50:53 PM
So what kind of pattern did you get and how far where you shooting.

My 20 yard pattern looked like all pellets were in a 12" circle, my 40 yard pattern might have had 60 in a 10" circle. I wanted to shoot 30 and 35 but I didn't get the chance.

turkeykiller41

What bout it mid tenn what kind of pattern did you get.

slicksbeagles1

I have an sa08 and shot some 5& 6's out of an ic 555 they were both ok at 30  and only the 6's ok at 40 the 5's blew all out at 40. I shot 1 hevi13 #7 at 40 just to compare and I will stick with the hevi 13 7's my original set up. I know there's more shot in the 7's but the pattern is just better. I'm not trying anymore shells unless I get a different gun this is the second time I have listened to all the hype and was disappointed. If you have a good set up stick with a and save your money.

turkeykiller41

What kind of numbers did you get with the 6s.

turkey buster

I'm not calling anyone liars so don't take me wrong. But where is the pictures of these patterns and where did you get the shells? I've yet to see a single pattern posted nor can I find a box of shells to buy and try for myself.

slicksbeagles1

I'm not a number counter I just know that the set up that puts the most shot in the kill zone head and neck of my turkey targets is what I'm looking for was just trying to let everyone know about  my experience. Don't have to prove anything I know that different Guns and chokes shoot different so get you some you might like them better. They sold them at the NWTF convention. All I can say is buy you some and shoot em but let us know what you think!

davisd9

Why would anyone lie about it? It is known they were at the convention and many picked them up there. I am glad some guys tested them but did you really expect some huge number from these shells?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: davisd9 on March 19, 2017, 05:26:39 PM
Why would anyone lie about it? It is known they were at the convention and many picked them up there. I am glad some guys tested them but did you really expect some huge number from these shells?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was kind of hoping to have fairly decent numbers like the 12 gauges do, actually. Might just have to stick with a 12 ga or the hw#7 in the 20

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

turkey buster

Guys I'm not calling people liars. Just simply asking where is the pictures. It's a hard to get and much anticipated shell that  we've all been looking forward to getting and seeing. Not being ugly but if I was privileged enough to have already gotten some and I was posting a review I'd show everyone what I was talking about.  I've read 5 reviews on here since the convention but not yet one picture to show what they did.