OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

cva nwtf gobbler ml shotgun?

Started by coyote1, March 10, 2017, 04:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote1

Does anyone have one of these? I'm looking for a good starting point for a good patterning load. I'm going to use goex ffg and #5 magnum shot.

Last spring i tried patterning this gun with several different combinations and couldn't get a very good pattern. This my first bp shotgun would i be better off with or without a shot cup in a fixed modified choke? Thanks in advance.

coyote1

Any suggestions from some more experienced bp guys? Too cold to get in any range time yet. I know there is no substitution for trying different combos. Is 30 yards a realistic distance for a good turkey killing pattern from a modified choke?

joey46

Just a IMO but 30 yards is a good range for any choke when testing a new gun and different loads.  Good luck.  When did they produce that gun?

coyote1

1998 or 99. Serial# indicates 98 but lock has 99 limited edition engraved in it.

jbmabrey

I have a pedersoli 12 ga. and use 35 mm shot cups from ballistic products. Holds 11/4 oz. of heavishot #6. Took a 24 lb gobbler with 11" beard last year at 36 yds.
I use carlsons choke tubes.
In your case the cups will help some-hevishot will help patterns also.
I also use 81 grains of Black MZ from Alliant powder. That equals 89 gr. which is max for my gun.
With this combination I also use  Lubed Muzzleloading Shotgun Wool Wads over the powder(1-2) and 1 wad over the shot.

Be careful to not seat the shot column too hard-for me seems to open the pattern.

I also shoot a TC 12 ga. ml with the same components just a larger shotcup and 110 gr of black mz.

try 2 overpowder wads vs. 1 to see what difference it is in your gun.

Hevi shot can be gotten at https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/search?SearchTerm=Hevi-Shot+Bulk  or Ballistics products.
have fun.

coyote1

Thanks. i have several different components to try.