OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Boxcall paddle arch finesse

Started by Iowa, March 09, 2017, 10:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iowa

How do you folks get consistent arch on the paddle? I start on bandsaw and then place handle end in vice where I take 100 grit sandpaper and work it back-and-forth. This gives me symmetry from one side to the other. I then finish up by sanding from screw end to handle end to lift the grain? Advice, thoughts?   :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

BKnisley

Iowa,

Just my two cents, as I am the new guy. I've had some luck with a few box call lids running them over a bench-top belt sander lengthwise. Just rock them side to side and the arch will come together. It works for me as I don't have a bandsaw, and a low grit belt hogs away a lot of material, which makes for fast work (especially with the maple). I run the top over a precision plate, that way I can check to see if I have any dips or divots. I thickness the lid, top, and sides with a plane, so no real precision work here. This is no means exact but it gets me fairly close, as I have a cedar/maple box call I'll be putting some miles on this season. Good luck with your call!