OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Boxcall paddle arch finesse  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Iowa

Boxcall paddle arch finesse
« on: March 09, 2017, 10:55:09 PM »
How do you folks get consistent arch on the paddle? I start on bandsaw and then place handle end in vice where I take 100 grit sandpaper and work it back-and-forth. This gives me symmetry from one side to the other. I then finish up by sanding from screw end to handle end to lift the grain? Advice, thoughts?   :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Offline BKnisley

Re: Boxcall paddle arch finesse
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 04:36:43 PM »
Iowa,

Just my two cents, as I am the new guy. I've had some luck with a few box call lids running them over a bench-top belt sander lengthwise. Just rock them side to side and the arch will come together. It works for me as I don't have a bandsaw, and a low grit belt hogs away a lot of material, which makes for fast work (especially with the maple). I run the top over a precision plate, that way I can check to see if I have any dips or divots. I thickness the lid, top, and sides with a plane, so no real precision work here. This is no means exact but it gets me fairly close, as I have a cedar/maple box call I'll be putting some miles on this season. Good luck with your call!