OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sound File

Started by Trumpetyelper, March 09, 2017, 05:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

WOW.....he can call. Never heard that much rasp from a trumpet!!!

boatpaddle

I double gobbled twice listening to that sound byte....

Bro Zach has it going on with Miss Windy for many years and LOTS of dead gobblers....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

mspaci

does anyone else make a mouth piece like that?

Trumpetyelper

John Dangerfield make his mouthpieces very similar.

DocHolliday

Gentlemen:
The beak doesn't make this call. As Zach himself would say it's the caller not the call. I can rasp on the Farmer, Buice, Cox or Bott. The beak helps, but it is not the "secret"

mspaci

ok, whats the secret? Hand hold? Mike

DocHolliday

In my case(every trumpet caller runs theirs differently), it is position of call on lip and air flow. Now I just said a mouthful. It took me a year of near daily work to find it.

nitro

Agreed. To quote Rev. Farmer - " It is years of putting in the due diligence"

Here's what the secret is -

1. Find a call you like.
2. Practice.
3. Practice.
4. Practice.
Royal Slam 2008

DocHolliday

S.C.C

Pure Turkey birdie,the best I've ever heard on a Trumpet!!!!Thanks for sharing this.   

Ranger

Terry, now that you have the Farmer call what can you tell us about your preferred style and the rasp from Rev. Farmer's woodwind?
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Terry

Quote from: Ranger on November 14, 2022, 06:26:40 PM
Terry, now that you have the Farmer call what can you tell us about your preferred style and the rasp from Rev. Farmer's woodwind?
Well clearly my thoughts have changed since my original response. My ideas have evolved immensely since then and continue to do so. Read what Nitro posted above. Practice is the key, not the trumpet. The rasp from Mr. Farmer's woodwind comes from Zach, not his call. That being said, my Farmer call is very well built, is beautiful, and runs very good as well.

As far as my preferred style, I try my hardest to have a clean front and raspy backend with a little thump in it. I have dedicated much time since my original post to learn the trumpet, part of that has been listening to as many real hens as possible. My ears have evolved more than my skill, if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger

I understand what you're saying.  I'm really curious if you felt like the call and its style, specifically the mouthpiece really lend itself to create more rasp? 
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Terry

Quote from: Ranger on November 14, 2022, 07:49:39 PM
I understand what you're saying.  I'm really curious if you felt like the call and its style, specifically the mouthpiece really lend itself to create more rasp?
Hard to say since I could get rasp before I owned it...

Terry

I think it's possible that the notch exposes more of your lip to the airflow and helps with rasp. I don't think it will make up for a lack of skill.