turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sound File

Started by Trumpetyelper, March 09, 2017, 05:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger

Really asking about the call and its design, nothing else asked or implied.  Never ran a Farmer or a Dangerfield, and never ran a Hornstra so always trying to learn how other calls run and how guys compare them.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Terry

I struggled with Dangerfield due to the thickness of his mouthpieces. I can't get a good seal on a MP that thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger

Very intriguing is the conversation around the clearer, "insert maker name here style" compared to the more raspy, slower draw of the "Farmer style".  Very. And I've heard plenty of both of those hens in the woods.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Terry

I think it's referred to "Farmer style"  cause he was the first to make it popular and maybe even the first to sound like that. Not sure about the other makers styles being referenced other than the clear style being called "Turpin".

Chris O

As far as my preferred style, I try my hardest to have a clean front and raspy backend with a little thump in it. I have dedicated much time since my original post to learn the trumpet, part of that has been listening to as many real hens as possible. My ears have evolved more than my skill, if that makes sense.

[/quote]I prefer this style of calling also!!! All rasp with no thump in it just doesn't sound correct to my ear. I have one of your sound files Terry that sounds absolutely like a live hen and probably the best trumpet playing that I have ever heard.

Gobbler428

His calling with a trumpet is simply awesome. Rasp is spot on and I don't have a clue how he does it. Really admire the man and his calling.

Terry

Quote from: Chris O on November 16, 2022, 11:06:00 PM

I prefer this style of calling also!!! All rasp with no thump in it just doesn't sound correct to my ear. I have one of your sound files Terry that sounds absolutely like a live hen and probably the best trumpet playing that I have ever heard.
[/quote]

That's a really nice compliment Chris, thank you!

Mark Prudhomme

I dont get on here very often but this topic comes up from time to time. I explain it like this. A trumpet is a lot like a carburetor. It must be built so that the performance matches that of the motor. Too big and performance suffers. Too small and it will not let the motor perform to its capabilities. The air flow must match what is being asked of it. A call has to be capable of making the sounds the user is looking for. Not all calls are built the same. If the builder does not play a call a certain way it may not be able to be played that way. Mr Zach has told me many times, a call must be played in the manner in which it was intended to be played. My calls can be played clear or raspy. so can other callmakers calls. The secret is not in the mouth piece or the beauty of the wood or finish. It is inside and there are no shortcuts. It takes a long time and hard work to achieve true turkey sounds. Turkeys are both clear and raspy soft and loud but there really is only one style. It is either exactly like a wild turkey or it is not. After being with him in the woods i can tell you Mr Zach is a wild turkey.

Terry

Mark, thanks for the response. I'm curious, on average how many minutes do you practice a day?

Mark Prudhomme

I play year round. I am lucky i get to spend nearly everyday  in the woods listening to turkeys. I record a lot of audio running calls in the woods up close and far away. If i can i practice every day but sometimes you get in a rut or pick up bad habits. I have to listen to turkeys to stayin tune. Sometimes tuning calls throws me off too i find myself adapting to the call instead of getting the call to where i want it.

Fl strutter

It takes practice and alot of it. These calls are hard to master but the reward is worth it. I've ran a pile of different trumpets and each maker builds a call to their calling style or liking. All will get rasp some are made for it which makes it alot easier to achieve it and sound more realistic. Each person is different and will play different calls better than others but in the end it comes down to practice and learning to sound like a hen. Mark I've heard you practice alot and I know Terry does and it shows in the sounds yall produce. Thanks Mark for building an awesome call.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/U81j7MtDb5oELWQ76

Mark Prudhomme

Thanks for having the confidence to take em to the woods.

EZ

Quote from: Mark Prudhomme on November 17, 2022, 01:52:10 PM
I dont get on here very often but this topic comes up from time to time. I explain it like this. A trumpet is a lot like a carburetor. It must be built so that the performance matches that of the motor. Too big and performance suffers. Too small and it will not let the motor perform to its capabilities. The air flow must match what is being asked of it. A call has to be capable of making the sounds the user is looking for. Not all calls are built the same. If the builder does not play a call a certain way it may not be able to be played that way. Mr Zach has told me many times, a call must be played in the manner in which it was intended to be played. My calls can be played clear or raspy. so can other callmakers calls. The secret is not in the mouth piece or the beauty of the wood or finish. It is inside and there are no shortcuts. It takes a long time and hard work to achieve true turkey sounds. Turkeys are both clear and raspy soft and loud but there really is only one style. It is either exactly like a wild turkey or it is not. After being with him in the woods i can tell you Mr Zach is a wild turkey.

Mark,
Your carburetor analogy is spot on. As you can imagine, building wingbones and Jordan yelpers for decades has taught me a lot. Every call is a little different. I have no control over the natural internals, but have learned ways to keep the overall volume similar.
I am playing calls daily (as soon as they are glued up) as well as breaking out my "Prudhomme", and many other trumpets. I find that jumping around from different (but well made calls) really helps keep me honest in my air control.
Every call seems to "like" to be played just a wee bit different and air control is everything.

tal

A gem of a thread, good info.

Greg Massey

Quote from: tal on November 18, 2022, 10:20:47 AM
A gem of a thread, good info.
Agree, it takes a lot of time and talent to master a trumpet ... great information's