OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 870 Youth 20ga, 21' barrel, Trulock Fedral Choke, heavyweight #7 1.5oz  (Read 5802 times)

Offline Gatorhunter.com

Son hasn't missed a live bird yet but added a Vortex Viper red dot to try and smooth things out. Works been too busy to fully pattern the gun but got it on paper today at 20/30/40 and was happy with the results.

Offline Gatorhunter.com

Offline Gatorhunter.com

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
Looks like he's ready !
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline Shellwaster

Wow, impressive. I'd like to see the overall pattern at 40 to see if it is consistent throughout and no noticeable voids.

Online g8rvet

• Double Beard
I see dead turkeys and they don't know they are dead! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Gatorhunter.com

It was plenty effective at 14yrds.

Offline Shellwaster

Well that was quick. Congrats to you and your son on what was probably a memorable hunt.

Offline Gatorhunter.com

The quick version....

Saturday: we had spotted a bird Friday evening in full strut with a group of hens and assumed he would roost nearby. Set up early over dsd flock with Jake and the birds were talking. Ended up with two gobblers strutting, gobbling and breeding hens all morning. They were generally under 125 yards. Was able to get one to come in to 62yrds but I wasn't confident in him taking that shot so we waited them out. Land owner pulled into the property around 11 and drove them off but I had to get to work.

Sunday: set up closer to first gobbler and he was already strutting on the roost at daylight. Flies down to 60yards, gives us a good hard look and walks straight away with two hens. I was more than frustrated. The 2 tons the day before had been very aggressive with one another the day before so I had brought a tail fan. After viewing two large birds in strut at a distance we decided to try to cut them off. Skirting the edge of the property we were able to locate them shadowing a group of hens. We the crawled through the palmettos and got in position about 120yrfs from the birds. I would crawl into the field with the fam then make my way back. It's now after ten hot and I'm laying in the sand, but after 45min here they come. Strutting, feeding, gobbling, spitting and drumming straight for us. At 14yrds I called to get him to stick his neck out and he gobbled and got dumped. I've never been more tired and in shock of how a hunt went down. Lol

Offline Shellwaster

Way to stick it out and work for that bird. Your son made it count and that's what matters.

Offline chatterbox

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: 870 Youth 20ga, 21' barrel, Trulock Fedral Choke, heavyweight #7 1.5oz
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 07:10:15 AM »
Simply awesome!
Great job to both dad and son! :icon_thumright:

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 08:20:44 PM »
 :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:  Love that smile! Congrats!!

Offline Gatorhunter.com

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 11:16:36 PM »
Finally got the wife out. She loves how light and maneuverable it is compared to the 12's.

Online sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »
good job right there. your family is getting the good out of that 20ga. you're shooting my exact gun and same set up. mine will average 175-180 in the 10"er at 40yds. that Trulock and the #7's are a deadly combination.

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »
Finally got the wife out. She loves how light and maneuverable it is compared to the 12's.

Nice! - Your turn!!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: