OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fix for high pattern?  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
Fix for high pattern?
« on: March 08, 2017, 07:25:17 PM »
Alright guys, I have posted recently about a Browning BPS with a Carlson's longbeard XR choke with splotchy patterns with 3.5 Win LB #5s. I got a Pure Gold .670 in today and am beyond pleased. Much better "hunting" pattern. The only issue is with my HIVIZ sights bottomed out I'm still about 2" high give or take at 20. I aimed at the wattles at 40 and 20 and it is dead on. That being said and being a touch of a perfectionist is there anything I can do with my current sights to move it lower? Would sliding the rear sight in either direction on the vent rib have any benefit or would I have to look at purchasing a different optic?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:43:51 AM by Coop1082 »
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline Strutr

Re: Fix for high pattern?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 08:51:07 AM »
Maybe contact HIVIZ to see if they can supply you with a higher front sight or lower back sight?  Second option is to fight off your OCD and just aim at the wattles.   ;D

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 09:46:28 AM »
I think fighting the OCD is going to be my only option with the HIVIZ unfortunately  :-\. This afternoon I'm going to try removing the elevation plate that you slide back and forth to lower and raise the rear. It won't give me much more, but it's worth a shot I reckon if the sight will still set right without that plate.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline Strutr

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:09:38 AM »
I don't know how your front sight is attached to the vent rib.....maybe you could create a shim to raise the sight?

Offline Cottonmouth

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 11:31:33 PM »
I don't know how your front sight is attached to the vent rib.....maybe you could create a shim to raise the sight?
^^^ This. Wouldn't take much elevation on the front sight to lower the poi.

Offline Loose Wire

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 04:05:08 AM »
The only issue is with my HIVIZ sights bottomed out I'm still about 2" high give or take at 20. I aimed at the wattles at 40 and 20 and it is dead on.

It seems you are 2" high at 20 and therefore 4" high at 40(?)  And "dead on" means the head?

Two issues here:

Guess POI is a personal choice, but I would be fine with that myself.  It allows one to see the target rather then cover it up. A low POI would be much more of a concern, and being off horizontally would be a real problem.

I also think the head, as a desired pattern center, is too high. 

Don't see the need to fix anything other then POA.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Fix for high pattern?
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 04:50:59 AM »
X2

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 09:54:54 AM »
X2
X3
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life