turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Blending in

Started by catman529, March 07, 2017, 11:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Since turkeys have such great eyes I thought I would say what I think are 3 factors to not being seen...

1. Being still
2. Backdrop
3. Shade

Ok so let's say camouflage is already assumed. You can kill a turkey not wearing camo, but odds are you're gonna walk into the woods covered in Realtree or Mossy Oak, and specific patterns aren't that important (mostly personal preference).

Now being still is something we all keep in mind, but I think we screw up on this one more than anything. It sure will lose you a few gobblers if you hunt much at all. If you have to move, you gotta do it very slow, smooth, and when the birds head is not in your line of sight.

The backdrop, usually this is a large tree, and the larger the better, to cover your entire silhouette so you are not skylined. This is also why patterns like Bottomland, Trebark, Greenleaf are so popular among turkey hunters. A tree is not the only good backdrop...it could be a wad of briars, a big honeysuckle bush, etc. Just don't use something flimsy that gives as a backrest, birds will see that bush move when you raise your gun.

Now for shade, this is something I think gives you an edge, but is not absolutely necessary to stay hidden. This also really helps when bow hunting deer from the ground. In areas where there is sun and shade, always try to set up in the shade, if possible. Think from the birds perspective, he is in the sunny area like a field or open hardwoods, looking for that hen. You are under a privet bush against an ash tree. The birds eyes are adjusted to the sunlight, so you are much harder to see under the shade. This is pretty much why blinds work so well and are painted black on the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ericbrooks

Good post.
Now if I could pick one of your 3, it would be sitting still. Because that alone without the other 2 would be fine most of the time.
But if you have the other 2 without being still, you have wasted the advantage they give you.

GobbleNut

Another great post, catman.  You are wise beyond your young years in this game.  Your point about not sitting in or against flimsy vegetation is one that rarely gets mentioned.  Sitting in or amongst stuff that is going to move like an earthquake just hit when you have to adjust on a bird can be as big a mistake as anything in a set-up. 

backforty

Great post, The only thing I would add is make sure you have room to swing your gun to the far right and left.  That little sapling to your right that you are sure won't cause an issue probably is the exact spot that gobbler will pop out.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Cut N Run

Great post.

Shade is definitely your friend.  It makes decent camo even better and helps hide minor movement. 

Several years ago, I took a guy turkey hunting who I set up in the shade of some overhanging trees against a big pine.  There was also some underbrush, honeysuckle, and briars behind and beside, which made it a great set up. My best friend and I had each killed gobblers from that same spot the years before. I knew if the turkey walked down the logging road where it met the opening about 25 yards from the tree, he'd get a great shot. Sometime after I left, he decided that the temperature in the shade was too cool and he'd rather set up in the sun to warm up.  I heard a few turkeys talking up on top of the ridge and figured they'd be headed his way to scratch & feed in the opening.  I was expecting a shot at any minute, but instead, I heard some loud PUTTs from the direction of the logging road and turkeys came scrambling off the ridge, sprinting through the woods about 50 miles an hour, down the other side of the creek bottom I was set up on. Game over.

It turns out he chose to move out of the shade and into the sun to where he could also see down the logging road as far as possible, which meant the turkeys could see him even farther. A little movement and slightly faded camo highlighted by the sun ended his hunt before it ever got going good. I'm not sure if he even realized how badly he got schooled.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

catman529

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 08, 2017, 09:24:27 AM
Another great post, catman.  You are wise beyond your young years in this game.  Your point about not sitting in or against flimsy vegetation is one that rarely gets mentioned.  Sitting in or amongst stuff that is going to move like an earthquake just hit when you have to adjust on a bird can be as big a mistake as anything in a set-up.
thank you, always some great advice I didn't think of from people who reply to my posts. I like the discussions in this subforum and hope it helps some people call in their first bird.

ilbucksndux

Quote from: backforty on March 08, 2017, 08:31:17 PM
Great post, The only thing I would add is make sure you have room to swing your gun to the far right and left.  That little sapling to your right that you are sure won't cause an issue probably is the exact spot that gobbler will pop out.

X2 there is not a worse feeling that having one come in and get past your "shooting lane" quicker than you wanted and having to move your barrel to the other side of a sapling.
Gary Bartlow

TRG3

In setting up, I try to find a large tree a few feet from the edge of the field with my decoys 20-25 yards away. In addition, a leafy cut-out outfit covers my camo and/or rain gear. I've snipped out a shooting lane in front of me so that when the gobbler comes in to attack my Funky Chicken, there's nothing to get in the way of the load of shot going his way. Also, try to avoid setting up where you are having to look into the sun for the shot. I'm sitting in my ground lounger such that if it takes a couple of hours for the tom to come in, or perhaps not at all, I'm comfortable. More than once I've gone to sleep in the ground lounger only to be awakened by a gobbler attacking my decoys, making for an interesting move on my part to make the shot!