OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slate issues

Started by southern_leo, March 06, 2017, 12:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southern_leo

So I bought my slate from brookside and once I had it glued up in a pot I noticed the slate was very soft. Sound was decent but not 100%. Literally after a couple rounds of a PH striker I have a small pile of slate dust and the striker is getting caked up already. As opposed to harder slate this isn't an issue. I was gandering around Dustin Jones Facebook and found a video he did saying he can't fill slate orders right now due to the same issue and he said he has sourced slate from a couple different places. What's up with this soft slate we are buying. Are more of yall also seeing this right now?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mmclain

Sand off all the milling marks.    They tend to cause extra dust

southern_leo

I'll try to sand it down but it just seems very soft. Even using the scotch Brite pad to scuff it up causes dust piles. Wondered if I bought a bad batch.

M,Yingling

whats a bad batch ?  ,,is their a certain spec slate is to be ?   its a natural material ,, if that's the slate everyone is selling and your calls are not 100 percent for you and to your satisfaction sounds like u need to look at some different measurements for u calls  to get them run right
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

southern_leo

Quote from: M,Yingling on March 08, 2017, 03:46:02 PM
whats a bad batch ?  ,,is their a certain spec slate is to be ?   its a natural material ,, if that's the slate everyone is selling and your calls are not 100 percent for you and to your satisfaction sounds like u need to look at some different measurements for u calls  to get them run right
The sound isn't bad at first but once the dust piles up it quickly cakes the striker. As far as the hardness specs I don't know. I assume since it is a natural resource I would think there are varying qualities. I'm just getting started on the call making so I'm open to suggestions. But when I noticed this then saw Dustin Jones talking about the same issue it caused me concern. Considering he has extensive history of using slate and he also is having this issue. I may just call brookside.

mastevt

From what I understand, and have been told, all our slate comes from 2 mines out east.  Capozzolo's in PA., and another one, which I forget. Several of the top call makers I know, all use Capozzolo slate, and so do most of your call supply distributers.  I've  read Dustins posts on fb since we are friends on there.  Only thing I can say is we may just have to deal with it, because of the minimal initial point of suppliers, aka, the mines.  Find a way to use it, or switch to a different 
material.  I'm in the process of experimenting with firing the slate.  1st call is currently in glue up stages, and I'm hopeful
that it improves the slate.  Time will tell.

southern_leo

Quote from: mastevt on March 09, 2017, 09:13:45 PM
From what I understand, and have been told, all our slate comes from 2 mines out east.  Capozzolo's in PA., and another one, which I forget. Several of the top call makers I know, all use Capozzolo slate, and so do most of your call supply distributers.  I've  read Dustins posts on fb since we are friends on there.  Only thing I can say is we may just have to deal with it, because of the minimal initial point of suppliers, aka, the mines.  Find a way to use it, or switch to a different 
material.  I'm in the process of experimenting with firing the slate.  1st call is currently in glue up stages, and I'm hopeful
that it improves the slate.  Time will tell.
Awesome let us know. I'm just gonna avoid selling slate until it's good or we find a way to make it harder. Keeps us posted

Disney

Years ago I bought a commercial slate call from a famous manufacturer. To this day, everytime I use scotchbrite or sandpaper, I get a pile of dust. I'm always wondering when I will go completely through the slate. It's been 30 years and the call sounds perfect. Maybe it's just something that happens alot. I just thought it was interesting, your topic, and wanted to share this with you.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

southern_leo

Quote from: Disney on March 31, 2017, 01:44:19 AM
Years ago I bought a commercial slate call from a famous manufacturer. To this day, everytime I use scotchbrite or sandpaper, I get a pile of dust. I'm always wondering when I will go completely through the slate. It's been 30 years and the call sounds perfect. Maybe it's just something that happens alot. I just thought it was interesting, your topic, and wanted to share this with you.
Interesting thanks for the input

ridgerunner

Guess i've never had the " good slate "...i've got dust from sanding slate since i started building calls in 2004...I'd of never known it was an issue if you all hadn't mentioned it, calls always sounded good..hmmm

Disney

Leo, I just got some slate from Brookside. I placed the rough side down and smooth side up for the striking surface. I did not sand it or use a scuff pad at all and the call sounds great. How long it holds up like that is another question. I have been cleaning off striker marks with a soft cloth, which works most of the time. I use alcohol wipes for fingerprints or when I think there are too many marks on it. I even use acetone to clean it. I'm trying to refrain breaking through the smooth surface which will create dust. Plus I can hold the call in any position.  I don't have to worry about sanding left to right etc. I do make sure my striker tips are sanded lightly with 220.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

Disney

Also, my slate is in  Redheart pot. The strikers I have used that work well for me,are listed . Of course they have varying tones. Hickory, 1 piece laminate, .ebony, webbwood, bloodwood, rosewood, HS Strut power stick and Duel laminate flare tip. My zebra, bocote and bubinga did not work well.
timbertunes126@gmail.com