OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Roosting  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Roosting
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »
This is a learn to hunt forum n some really good advice has been given so far.
It may be premature for some to be thinking this far head but w the seasons opening I'd like to explain a way to get an edge on your competition and it's just a flat out great way to start a morning, roosting birds.
During your preseason scouting/listening you hopefully located groups of birds. Imagine yourself going out tomo morning. Which spot? Can I find em quick enough or will I spend all morning trying to locate?
Ok so there's 2 ways I go about roosting birds for tomorrow's hunt. Visual which was the way I initially did it as a kid. To do this you'd be best w exclusive property. Reason is its critical you can see birds from the truck, trail, etc but they'd be visual to anyone else too.
At the time I was doing this I used long range observation. I'd get out a couple hours before dark and find a flock w gobblers.
I'd stay hidden n watch where they flew up through the binos. In the morning I'd set up there. If the gobbler flew off say to the right n the hens left I'd set up between them. If my preseason watching had them going down the hill to a cut cornfield for instance I'd prob be slightly lower than the flock.
Key in all roost hunts is not being seen going in or setting up, so another imo no flashlights.
A better safer way to accomplish this is audibly. To do this again I'll use a hill over a field roost to make things easier to understand. Imagine the field has woods on both sides. Almost dark, the time deer move, enter the woods, keep your truck n you from view. Walk through the woods very quietly n I wear dark clothes n head to field edge. Now it's almost dark n the birds can't see you, you can see them in a tree.
I walk n do fly up cackles listening "forward". You'll hear some birds gobble hopefully  n head that way. If not wait n move forward. Try again maybe 100 yards give or take.
Once you get a bead even slower enter the woods toward birds. Get em to gobble again w your shock call. You can cackle, gobble, etc.
look for the birds w binos. Once you see them in a tree I try n determine which way the gobbler is facing. They do switch sides but your percentages lie w the way they're facing.
Mark the spot, I go in very early the next morning. A step at a time like a deer. If a branch is broken I stop. Remember no light. If the birds wake wait til the wing is retucked.
I often walk under roosted hens n open or climb cattle gates in this fashion n it's w my 2 daughters so there's 3 of us. Never yet has a bird spooked. You set up as close as you see fit.
First light comes n you can see him gobbling on the limb. Great start to the day. By the time anyone else heard him he'd often be dead. You can walk woods roads or ridges in order to roost the same way
Anyone else uses other methods feel free to chime in

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Roosting
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 09:40:01 AM »
Roosting is awesome for an early morning setup, but does not always mean a dead bird. A lot of times he goes another way with the hens. Still a cool way to start the day. Remember you can catch up with him later in the morning or maybe find another hot bird if it doesn't work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Roosting
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 09:48:06 AM »
Roosting is awesome for an early morning setup, but does not always mean a dead bird. A lot of times he goes another way with the hens. Still a cool way to start the day. Remember you can catch up with him later in the morning or maybe find another hot bird if it doesn't work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's never a guarantee but roosting def raises odds

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Roosting
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 12:37:55 PM »
My 28th Spring Season is coming up and I have yet to roost a gobbler. I know it works and many hunters enjoy doing it to the point of staying until it is pitch dark and counting your steps out.    What has worked for me is to walk in over 1 mile on a woods road-- just slowly walking until it is about 20-25 minutes before sundown and let loose with my locators. I want to know the general area of a gobbler or 2-3 and leave it at that. For me- this has produced results of many longbeards.