OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Crow call and Owl hooter  (Read 7061 times)

Offline gobbler777

Re: Crow call and Owl hooter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 11:25:55 PM »
Gibson and Gibson
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 01:25:29 PM »
To begin with, there's enough going on in my hunting neighborhood that I've stopped using locator calls.  One neighbor had a donkey. Another keeps pea fowl.    On weekdays, the school bus will set them off.  All I have to do is go to one of my favorite listening posts and be patient. 

I'm one of those guys who learned to owl hoot.  It may not get a gobble, but it will often get the crows working, and that will elicit a gobble.

Which brings me to a point:    Have any of y'all notice how crows will start sounding off when the turkeys move?  Until I read it elsewhere years ago on another forum, I'd not really thought about it.  However, there seems to be a good deal of animosity between crows and turkeys.  Once I got clued-in, I started to pay attention to it.   Sure enough, quite often I've found that the crows will sound off when turkeys come out into a nearby pasture.   It isn't 100% for sure, but it's worth paying attention.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:17:27 PM by shaman »
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 02:08:57 PM »
Harrison hooter & Primos power crow
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 08:23:09 PM »
 I haven’t used very many owl hooters but I bought a Houndstooth and really like it. I was blowing it tonight and got all of the owls stirred up. I had several going It was pretty neat. I love listening to owls it’s almost as good as turkey gobbles.

Offline idgobble

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 11:43:44 PM »
I mouth call for owls and use a duck or goose call when near a river or lake.  Never had much luck with crow calls.

Offline gobbler777

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 05:09:42 PM »
Gibson Calls .... they are Top Shelf    at Crowmart.com
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 AM »
Is the Harrison Hooter the same as the Hooks Hoot’N Stick?
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 12:07:12 PM »
My voice, it's saved me 8 oz. of weight in my vest.   ;D

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 07:27:38 PM »
Harrison hooter....im now gonna be much help on the crow call.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 07:28:20 PM »
I believe so as Mr Harrison is friends with the Hooks crew. They usually set up at the convention together

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 09:00:11 PM »
Harrison hooter and Daryal on here, Ncbowhunter, makes the best crow call I have ever blown and I own a Gibson!

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 09:02:35 PM »

Sorry it's NCbowjunkie

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 08:36:17 AM »
From my experience, the key factor is volume.  The louder a call is, the more likely a gobbler will gobble at the sound, regardless of its realism.  Whatever brand you choose to get, make sure you can blow it loudly.

We use the term "shock gobble" for a reason.  During the spring, gobblers are instinctively "conditioned" to gobble to attract hens to their location.  They also gobble as a competitive response to other gobblers they can hear, and instinctively try to gobble "over the top" of other gobblers.  Again, that automatic response is genetically ingrained,...they can't help themselves.  And again, it seems to be triggered to a significant degree by volume. 

Ask yourself why gobblers will start gobbling at thunder when it is close by,...or other really loud noises like that?  It is simply an instinctive response triggered by their genetic programming to gobble on top of other gobblers.  When a sound with enough volume hits their ears, their brain automatically triggers the response gobble,...a "shock gobble"...because the brain interprets the sound immediately as a challenge from another gobbler. 

Here's a tip about using locator calls:  a single, loud sound of just about any type will often elicit a response gobble better than the most realistic natural sound in the woods.  This is especially true in hard-hunted places where gobblers have learned to suppress gobbling to those natural woods sounds of normal volume.  In those cases, often the only thing that will trigger that instinctive "shock gobble" response is by making the loudest, sudden noise you can with something.

The moral of the story:  Whatever locator you choose, the louder it is, the better.   ;D :icon_thumright:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:47:55 PM by GobbleNut »

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 12:38:47 PM »
I believe so as Mr Harrison is friends with the Hooks crew. They usually set up at the convention together

Thanks I will be ordering one soon.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline NCbowjunkie

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 10:30:12 PM »
I have a new closed reed owl hooter that I will put up against all others. And can build a hooter crow matched set for anyone that wants