OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Crow call and Owl hooter

Started by Life of Riley, March 01, 2017, 04:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

Which ones of these do I want to buy again? I can't find the old post. Plus, I'm sure this would be brought up again with season fast approaching.

Bowguy

LaLongbeard

Hands down the best Gobbler locator is a dog whistle.Those Drury boys let the cat out of the bag a few years back and sold there own version but any dog whistle will work. That high frequency sound works more often than any crow or owl call  I've used.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Rzrbac

FL-Boss

Harrison hooter and Harrison Crow

SwampRooster17

Really like my Harrison hooter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerbasshunter3

The Harrison hooter is by far the most realistic sounding owl call I have ever heard myself play! It sounds just like an owl right out of the box. I can't say much for crow calls, as I have a cheap Primos (I think it is Primos) crow call, but never use it.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Life of Riley

Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 01, 2017, 11:19:12 AM
Hands down the best Gobbler locator is a dog whistle.Those Drury boys let the cat out of the bag a few years back and sold there own version but any dog whistle will work. That high frequency sound works more often than any crow or owl call  I've used.

I'm curious about this because I saw A LOT of people on other forums saying how much respect they lost for the Drurys after they sold a sham product, referring to the dog whistle they sold way back when.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Life of Riley on March 02, 2017, 04:02:26 AM
Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 01, 2017, 11:19:12 AM

I'm curious about this because I saw A LOT of people on other forums saying how much respect they lost for the Drurys after they sold a sham product, referring to the dog whistle they sold way back when.

I've been trying to find this online (Google search) but cannot find it. Can somebody please post a picture of it? I am curious if it really is just a whistle...

LaLongbeard

The whistle is silent to humans there used to train dogs which hear the high pitch sound. As for as people talking down the Drury's it cost 3 bucks what do you have to loose ?I think the Drury's cost quite a bit more for the same thing that might be the root of the anger

deerbasshunter3

I am assuming the Drury's version is camo?

Bowguy

LaLongbeard

Here's the thing with the whistle when it first hit the market everybody bought one some bought 3 like everything else it was done to death like the fighting purr calls.Mark Drury told me he wished they would have kept the call to themselves it cause such a hassle. Here's how it went someone blew the whistle waited 5 seconds then said it don't work and started blowing the crow call. Or they here one gobbling and start toward him blowing the whistle and shut him up.If a turkey is already gobbling there is no need for crow calls wood peckers coyote howls elk bugles or anything else. If you start to a goobler making any sound he's probably going to shut up until he figures out what is happening they are suspicious of everything I've seen real life crows shut a gobbler up. The doubters come in 2 sizes those that never tried it and those that did it wrong.If you decide to try it use the whistle and nothing else.But NOTHING works everytime.And until its overdone again the whistle will work.

g8rvet

I owl call with my voice.  have called a few to the tree over my head.  Does not always produce a gobble. 

I have a cheapo crow call.  I have had birds shock gobble at an incredible distance and others pay it no mind.  My nephew has used a Canada goose flute with success.  My brother's Pa-in-law used his truck horn and has killed more than I ever will.  Nothing is 100% and most locators are over used like Phil said. 

We had one feller in a club that we called "Hooty Who". He would owl call to them and try to walk under their limb.  Very frustrating when he was around.  I used to try to beat him to a spot, but learned to just see what area of the club he was going and then I would head the other way.  He was gone every morning by 8 and in the 5 years I was in that club, I never knew of him killing a bird.  Old Hooty Who. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.