OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Cutting the tape on your mouthcalls to fit your mouth  (Read 4246 times)

Offline HoosierHills

• boom.
Cutting the tape on your mouthcalls to fit your mouth
« on: February 28, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »
I was just curious if anyone has experimented with this or uses this practice on there calls. I haven't tried it yet but have always wanted to. Does anyone have any tips or methods for finding the correct size for your mouth? Do you start in the back of the call on the sides? What has worked for you guys? 
Foot on head.

Offline Daddy rat

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Cutting the tape on your mouthcalls to fit your mouth
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 08:22:02 PM »
Very sharp scissors and a little trimming goes a long ways. Start with calls you don't like then trim your good calls. It's all trail and error on fit
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:10:24 AM by Daddy rat »

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 10:55:57 PM »
I do this all the time, I made a template once I got my fit down and any call I buy I just trace and cut. I started by trimming the sides and tapered back, mine seem to be more egg shaped (narrow end)

MK M GOBL

Offline GunRunner

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 10:37:23 PM »
I had trouble with many of the most popular mouth calls that my hunting buddies had mastered. I began to realize that these calls were too big for my smaller palate. I tried trimming the tape on these calls with mixed results.
Then I read somewhere to try a youth size diaphragm.......problem solved.

Offline HoosierHills

• boom.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 06:40:37 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input. Daddy Rat you are correct you need to trim just small amounts at first in my experience. MK  my plan is to come up with a template once I find the right fit. I have issues with the tape bunching up around the front of my teeth, I believe mine will be egg shaped as well. GunRunner thanks for the input I look at the youth calls and have bought a few, I found I have trouble holding them in place.  Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment on my post I hope everyone has a successful year this year. 
Foot on head.