OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: FastFire 3 vs vortex venom  (Read 9434 times)

Offline Txag12

FastFire 3 vs vortex venom
« on: February 26, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »
Opinions on the two in comparison to one another? Going to pick one up but can't decide which. Burris seems more popular but the vortex warranty sounds like it's unmatched

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
Re: FastFire 3 vs vortex venom
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 10:10:23 AM »
both are very good sights.  It all in what you find the best deal on.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline backwater

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 02:18:35 PM »
Burris has the "forever warranty".   And it's fully transferable.   I only own the FF3 and  I'm very happy with it.   

CrustyRusty

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 05:56:04 PM »
I have a fastfire 3 with 8moa dot. Wish I had gotten a vortex.  I think the 6 moa on the Venom is a perfect dot size.  Additionally, the vortex has 10 or 12 intensity settings and the burris only 3. 

I like having more adjustability and choice of how bright the dot is, some dont care but to me it would make a difference.

Warranty is a wash since both companies are great to deal with.

Btw, the venom has the same mounting profile as the burris, so you can use the burris protector if you like

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 06:52:03 PM »
Bought a Fastfire 3 at the start of the 2013 turkey season. Halfway through my 2014 season it started cutting in and out me. Sent it in to Burris and they sent me a brand new one in about a week. Made it through the 2015 season fine. Halfway through the 2016 season the second sight started doing the exact same thing. Sent it back into Burris, they sent me another. So both sights only lasted ~1.5 seasons before I ran into issues. It seemed to be something electrical with the battery connections. Sometimes I could take the battery out, put it back in, and the sight would start back working. I cleaned battery terminals, tried multiple batteries, but nothing ever solved the problem. LOVED the sight, but can't have something on my gun that is that unreliable. Malfunctions did cost me a gobbler or two. Luckily Burris's customer service is top notch.

I ended up selling my fastfire and buying a Venom. Just installed it yesterday. So far so good. Adjustments performed exactly as they were supposed to. Hope it lasts longer than the Fastfire, but if it doesn't, I have heard nothing but great things about the Vortex warranty.

I had the 8MOA Fastfire and much prefer the 3MOA on the Venom. You can also get the 3MOA on a Fastfire if you go that route.

Offline Txag12

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 10:26:23 PM »
Ended up picking up a vortex venom and mesa tactical top mount picatinny rail, I'll let y'all know how it works out. May add a gobbler74 protector and see if it works with the venom

Offline NFW

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 02:13:13 AM »
Me myself I'm going with the Venom why to say the least Vortex is one of the best in the business they just don't make poor quality stuff even the cheap stuff they have, I've got a pair of viper HD, rangefinder a couple scopes and hope to add another with there new line that just came out. They just make quality stuff and don't think twice about backing their product. You never use their warranty on faulty equipment you use it on faulty human error. They are a pleasure to deal with.

Also really like how the venom has the auto brightness setting so from early morning to mid morning the brightness will be correct and not have to toggle through settings getting it just right.

Offline jwright8

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 08:42:56 AM »
Me myself I'm going with the Venom why to say the least Vortex is one of the best in the business they just don't make poor quality stuff even the cheap stuff they have, I've got a pair of viper HD, rangefinder a couple scopes and hope to add another with there new line that just came out. They just make quality stuff and don't think twice about backing their product. You never use their warranty on faulty equipment you use it on faulty human error. They are a pleasure to deal with.

Also really like how the venom has the auto brightness setting so from early morning to mid morning the brightness will be correct and not have to toggle through settings getting it just right.
The fast fires have auto brightness. Not knocking the venom, that's what I would get more than likely if I bought another one.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 11:19:38 PM »
Do either one of these have an auto on off?  Still do not like trusting an electric device with a cheap battery.

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 11:42:17 PM »
Do either one of these have an auto on off?  Still do not like trusting an electric device with a cheap battery.
Venom has auto shutoff at 14 hours. I prefer the venom over ff by a long shot just because of the 10 brightness settings. You can dial it to the perfect setting. I never cared for the auto settings on the ff. Always starburst and not enough manual settings to get it just right