OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: All proph reeds  (Read 3038 times)

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
All proph reeds
« on: February 25, 2017, 07:38:30 PM »
Bought 3 calls from a local call maker at a sports show today and two are latex over proph and they sound awesome. However the third is all proph and it is basically nails on a chalk board with no rasp. Do I just need to give it time to loosen up? The tension seems tight but maybe because I'm used to running old diaphragms. I've never tried an all proph call so I'm perplexed

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: All proph reeds
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 10:33:48 PM »
There is always the possibility that the reeds will fatigue a bit with a little use and time, but most of us want a call that sounds good to us right away,...or they end up not getting used.  My standard suggestion for calls that don't sound "right" is to take a pair of scissors and modify the cuts (long reed only to start with), a little bit at a time, until the call starts getting the sound you want.

Remember, too, that thin-reed calls require a bit more care and maintenance to keep their sound as compared to thicker-reed calls. 

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:19:02 AM »
Would you mind telling me of your experience with an all proph call? I am no diaphragm expert but ive never had a angle call I couldn't get ANY turkey sound to come out. I'm definitely going to tinker with it because I hate waste

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 05:37:55 PM »
Since I make my own calls, I have experimented with many different elements in constructing calls, including constructing all-proph calls of varying configurations.  In proph calls in particular, I have seen a great deal of variation in sound quality from call to call.  I have made some that sound great,...and I have made some that I thought would sound great that ended up being terrible. That may or may not be the case with other call makers, but I suspect it might be a common problem.

The obvious issue with mouth calls is that they cannot be pre-tested for sound quality.  The guy that buys the call is the one who finds out if it is any good or not,...and nobody else is probably going to find out if the problem is in the call,...or the caller. 

As I stated before, I have found that most mouth calls can be modified to sound better,...and sometimes greatly so,...from the product as it comes in the package from the maker.  That holds true for almost all of them, including the all-proph versions.  Having said that, there are some mouth calls that are just destined to be duds.  At some point we all just have to accept that and move on. 

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 10:25:38 PM »
Appreciate the feedback, Jim. You're a treasure trove of wisdom and I truly appreciate your advice. Thank you!

Online Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 01:50:50 AM »
I personally have a couple of signature stacks that I built for myself.  One is all proph.  The thing about proph is there not usually a n in-between.  It either plays excellent or awful.  I've trashed more"experiments that were proph than regular latex.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline bullet355

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 03:48:42 AM »
I have used a couple of different all phrof. calls
that I really liked. 1 is from Houndstooth, and the
other was a Woodhaven I dont think they make anymore.
My only problem with them is they dont last very long,
3 or 4 days of hunting and they are ready for the trash