OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New York Gobbling Activity 2017  (Read 18165 times)

Offline NYlogbeards

New York Gobbling Activity 2017
« on: February 25, 2017, 01:36:01 AM »
so what you all hearing out there? very interested to know with this very warm winter we've had.

Offline nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: New York Gobbling Activity 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:03:47 PM »
last thing i heard was there teeth chattering ..... 

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
New York Gobbling Activity 2017
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 11:01:29 PM »
The day before the snow storm my buddied called to say that there were 18 longbeards on his farm hitting the waste grain behind the barn. After 31" of snow they haven't even come out of the trees much. They tried to fly down today but he said the flew right back up into the trees.

Hopefully it starts to melt off soon. 

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline milertyme03

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 11:54:39 AM »
Walked out my door a few days ago in St Lawrence County.  Started hitting a call and had one sound off about 2 miles away. 

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
Walked out my door a few days ago in St Lawrence County.  Started hitting a call and had one sound off about 2 miles away.

i wish I had that kind of hearing
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline milertyme03

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 06:46:20 PM »
I was up on a Big Hill and with leaves off trees u can hear a long ways this time of year may have been 1.5 miles, but it was on the next road over for sure

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 01:08:04 PM »
I heard my first NY gobbler today on my first scouting trip of the Spring. He only gobbled once though at 6.45am. That was the only gobble that I heard as I scouted for another 2 hours. Going to scout a different area next weekend.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 07:02:23 PM »
I live a mile or two from the state line. They've been gobbling for a month or so on both sides of the line.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 08:56:43 AM »
I was up on a Big Hill and with leaves off trees u can hear a long ways this time of year may have been 1.5 miles, but it was on the next road over for sure

It's amazing how much the leaves muffle everything once green up occurs

Offline Sevenyearsandcounting

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »
Not hearing much gobbling at all. Hearing half gobbles when crows call at the strutting birds.

Birds have been strutting for a month or more. I'm hoping they have mated a lot more due to the warmer weather. Last year it was brutal. All my friends had to put in serious hours to fill one tag. Only one friend got two. My dad for the first time in a decade was skunked and I took my first eastern 23.5 on the 22nd day of the season.

Hoping this year it comes a bit easier. A bit not too much easier I like the struggle. 21 days of scouting. Ticks all over the damn place. But I'm feeling good about this years chances.

Offline BABS9

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
Been hearing good gobbling on the roost first thing in the morning. Decent gobbling on the ground but not a ton. Almost no gobbling in the afternoons before or on the roost. Most birds are with hens. Seeing a ton of jakes. You are right on the ticks insane already! Last season the first week-week and a half was hot. Got a bird opening day. Called another for my bro the next day. But after that first week and half it was completely dead. I don't think I heard a single gobble the last two weeks.

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 07:47:32 PM »
Spot on assessment on last season. Dad and I had one big boy stroll in and hide behind brush and then we moved spots and bam called another big boy in and I missed lol. Didn't have another bird working for 3 damn weeks until I killed a monster. It was worth the wait!

Last year saw very few Jakes. I'm seeing flocks of Jakes this year. This has me super excited for some good action. Those Jakes should help fill the lawl after week ones done.

Still want a big bird but seeing as my bird last year won't be topped I'll be happy with a 2 year old bird. Last years bird was as tough as nails to eat.

Man I cannot wait for next week! Rain is forecasted but it rained last opening day and we had awesome action.

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 08:56:32 PM »
Good info guys. Last season was way better then the year before. But the general consensus seams about normal. Little gobbling in the early hrs then shut up and never gobble again until the next morning. Hell I dont care I just want to be out.

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 10:58:46 AM »
Mike you will have action this year birds seem to be up a n numbers.

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 12:37:01 PM »
Mike you will have action this year birds seem to be up a n numbers.

I hope so. Last year was fair but birds don't gobble to much anymore. There was a time when we would hear them all day long but now it's first thing and that's it. We have learned to adjust to the lack of gobbling.