turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New York Gobbling Activity 2017

Started by NYlogbeards, February 25, 2017, 01:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sevenyearsandcounting

I think the gobbling will be up this year. It was warmer earlier than usual so hopefully they got a lot of mating in and the hens will head to nest earlier. Also with the increase in Jakes maybe that will help increase the gobbling?

Hoping thegobbling comes back. We literally heard three gobbles from may 8th to may 21st then after that they were fired up.

EZ

My buddy called from Otsego Co. just the other day and said things up there are not like normal. He said the birds haven't moved much from where they wintered and are still in large groups.

TauntoHawk

That little warm spat supper early I doubt sparked breading to begin, breeding is triggered by photoperiod and nest is done by ground temp that warm up was way too early in February for the birds to have breed not to mention when it was flowed by a giant snow storm that would have killed any attempt to nest those eggs.

Greene county had good numbers last year and is shaping for another good one. Any property I see less birds on I can directly attribute to hunting pressure.

I think birds are still holding in groups a bit but should break up soon. Last year I know I hunted a winter flock on opening day with 65+ birds and 12 longbeards in one roost location. I'd much rather have those birds spread out than stacked up like that.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sevenyearsandcounting

Warm temps can push birds to breed earlier but I doubt it too. It seems weird in the woods like it's June. My dad and I covered our two favorite spots. Nice to have my dad out again scouting but the birds were not making a peep. He saw three tons and 6 hens together in a field.

Either they're still flocked up or they're breeding probably flocked. It's just weird. So brutal hot this morning and wind like crazy I'm sure that's another reason they either were not gobbling or I couldn't hear them. Hoping cold snap is a return to normalcy for the opener.

TrackeySauresRex

Any reports on Chenango county from the OG community?  :gobble:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Sevenyearsandcounting

This season is setting up perfect. Birds literally just broke flocks today. We had a wood lot with 4-6 gobblers. From my photo I thought it was 3 hens and 3 toms but looking closer the non strutter had a beard literally dragging in the dirt!

Today dad drove by and before he could step foot to get walking in? Boom gobbling. One from up the hill and one down the hill. He went home got ready for work and drove bye again. The two toms were strutting two different fields.

So just yesterday they were all flocked together and today all split up. Looks like we're in for a good opener. Goal is taking a bird but if we can work some birds I'll be happy.

Sevenyearsandcounting

Birds are quiet today. Must be getting ready to go to war with us hunters. Calm before the storm.

TauntoHawk

anyone concerned about how wet its been for nesting, We've had some really good hatches I'd hate to see a bad one come rolling along this year.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BABS9

This week has been pretty good. I think as long as we don't get anymore monsoons for a week straight and the sun stays out and continues to dry up we may be okay. Any hens who have lost nests have plenty of time to get bred and re nest. Just have to hope it doesn't get bad again for the hatch.

mikejd

Quote from: BABS9 on May 11, 2017, 05:04:52 PM
This week has been pretty good. I think as long as we don't get anymore monsoons for a week straight and the sun stays out and continues to dry up we may be okay. Any hens who have lost nests have plenty of time to get bred and re nest. Just have to hope it doesn't get bad again for the hatch.

Turkeys don't need to be re bred. Turkeys have the ability to re inseminate themselves if they need to. Nature has ways to work things out.

As for gobbling in NY. I have only heard 2 gobbles in 7 strait days.

BABS9

Quote from: mikejd on May 11, 2017, 09:36:37 PM
Quote from: BABS9 on May 11, 2017, 05:04:52 PM

Turkeys don't need to be re bred. Turkeys have the ability to re inseminate themselves if they need to. Nature has ways to work things out.

As for gobbling in NY. I have only heard 2 gobbles in 7 strait days.
Learn something new everyday! Very cool! Thanks for correcting. As for gobbling it's been picking up. I got a stud 2 days ago. Quiet all morning but at about 830-9 he lit up and cam in hot.

TauntoHawk

Yeah I know they can store "it" for 21 days I guess I was more worried about it not drying all of May but looking at the forecast its gonna get beautiful next week and probably dry out fast.

Gobbling, i was only up this past weekend calling for a vets hunt, we had good action despite the rain but they were still very much henned all day. My hunters each missed one both Saturday and Sunday which sucks but they had a good time and both shots just seemed to be rushed not settled and clean misses. Gobbling was great from the roost and a little for about 20min on the ground and then nothing until 9-10am and I had to get inside their bubble before they'd respond. Gonna get back out 19-21st should be getting prime by then.

turkaholic

We have a camp outside the Cobleskill area, been hunting the area for over 15 years. I just returned recently from two back to back trips of eleven days. The first two days out I never herd a single gobble. I was with my two brothers and one of them located a good flock and it came with a few gobbles. Just the usual henned up early season stuff, one or two courtesy gobbles. The weather out of 11 days, I think it didn't rain or SNOW for two or three days. The gobbling was the worst I've seen yet. I did manage a nice long beard on the third day. It was a classic hunt and it was wonderful. I don't need a lot to keep me moving, but a gobble once in a while is sweet. I walked 29 miles in those 11 days according to my GPS,I never herd one gobble accept at first light. I'm remembering last year as being very similar and what is disturbing to me is after the first week last year, I never herd another gobble. I'm heading back next week hoping things will open up. I saw a lot of long beards around, counted 12 in one day hitting spots but not on my spots. I hunt state land mostly. I did see two Fishers, came to the call, but not close enough.
live to hunt hunt to live

mikejd

Quote from: turkaholic on May 14, 2017, 03:04:20 PM
We have a camp outside the Cobleskill area, been hunting the area for over 15 years. I just returned recently from two back to back trips of eleven days. The first two days out I never herd a single gobble. I was with my two brothers and one of them located a good flock and it came with a few gobbles. Just the usual henned up early season stuff, one or two courtesy gobbles. The weather out of 11 days, I think it didn't rain or SNOW for two or three days. The gobbling was the worst I've seen yet. I did manage a nice long beard on the third day. It was a classic hunt and it was wonderful. I don't need a lot to keep me moving, but a gobble once in a while is sweet. I walked 29 miles in those 11 days according to my GPS,I never herd one gobble accept at first light. I'm remembering last year as being very similar and what is disturbing to me is after the first week last year, I never herd another gobble. I'm heading back next week hoping things will open up. I saw a lot of long beards around, counted 12 in one day hitting spots but not on my spots. I hunt state land mostly. I did see two Fishers, came to the call, but not close enough.

Just got back from 9 days of hunting. Not a bird between 5 guys hunting hard. Only gobbles I did hear was at first light on the rooste. Only had 2 gobbles all week after 5:30 am. I wish they where henned up I could ork with that. Every group of birds I did see(driving the roads in the afternoons) was one sided either all hens or all gobblers they where only together a few times. Strange behavior for second week of may.

I am going to have to start deer hunting for turkeys since they dont answer calls anymore. This has been the norm for the past 4 or 5 seasons. And These birds are not hunted hard as I have only seen 2 hunters in 9 days.

turkaholic

I hear you Mike. I did see a good amount of strutters with multiple hens.I also seen birds in groups of hens or gobblers only. It is a strange to see the way it's going. It's as if they won't gobble for fear of drawing in a predator. One gobble on roost and away with hens. I had hopes on my last day, the weather was finally nice. I slipped into a place where I saw birds in a field a few day earlier. I got in the woods a little early and didn't realize I walked by where the birds were roosted. The gobbler gobbled at the sound of my foot steps. Minutes later there were 4 hens under him. One gobble is all you get if your lucky.
live to hunt hunt to live