OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Build a good ground blind.  (Read 4908 times)

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
Build a good ground blind.
« on: February 23, 2017, 05:40:43 PM »
A good ground blind can hide a lot of your movement. I can not tell you how many birds came in silent, looking around for that hen they heard, and if I was not in a concealed blind I would have been busted. You need to sit very still and limit your movements, but no one can sit perfectly still for long periods. A good blind can conceal that movement.

If you have scouted an area an know where the birds roost and where they are heading, it is a good idea to build a ground blind in that area. Keep the sun at your back and try to build it in the shadows. I use a gound blind and put palmetto branches in front of it. ( this is the stake kind not the house)

Make sure you build it the right height so that you can see over it and when holding your gun to your shoulder you can shoot over it. A well built blind will give you confidence so you can sit longer.
Another important part of the set up is a chair. I use the Turkey Lounger, it is a low sitting chair that is very comfortable. Again, the more comfortable you are the longer and stiller you will sit.

I will typically make several blinds in an area, just in case I need it. As you are scouting keep an eye out for good blind locations.

Lastly, If I think a bird is close, I will shoulder my gun and be ready to shoot. If the bird gets in on you, it will be hard to get the gun up if it is laying on your lap. I have help a gun up until my arms hurt.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: Build a good ground blind.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 05:49:52 PM »
I carry a pair of pruning shears and it's rare that I sit down without putting a branch or two in front of me. Not sure if it helps, but makes me feel much better.

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 06:53:23 PM »
 :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

*** Be sure it is legal. In Pennsylvania, it is NOT  ???

http://read.nxtbook.com/pgc/huntingtrapping/20162017/index.html#turkey

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 07:29:17 PM »
Watch for those snakes that like living in those well built blinds also...had the old snake in the blind more than once...

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 10:30:24 PM »
Take advantage of natural changes in terrain. One of the best spots I hunt is a pair of downed trees near a ridge. They came down during a hurricane we had a number of years ago.  All that's left are two logs with a soil mound at the rootball which makes a perfect set up. Almost like sitting in an easy chair. The gobblers don't spend a lot of time in the area, though they love to pass through looking for hens. 

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 04:48:50 AM »

I am not even sure what that says. Lol.
 Couldn't they make the law easier to understand. The way I read it, you can have a blind of branches and other materials, but it has to be inclosed on all 4 sides and from above.?

But, you can not use a store bought blind like amerstep. 

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 06:31:45 AM »

I am not even sure what that says. Lol.
 Couldn't they make the law easier to understand. The way I read it, you can have a blind of branches and other materials, but it has to be inclosed on all 4 sides and from above.?

But, you can not use a store bought blind like amerstep.
You definitely have to read it step by step...lol

Here are the highlights:

"Blinds made by piling rocks, logs, branches, etc. are unlawful.

Artificial or manufactured turkey blinds consisting of all manmade materials means blinds must be constructed of plastic, nylon, canvas, cotton cloth, plywood or other manmade materials.
The blind must completely enclose the hunter on all four sides and from above to block the detection of movement within the blind.

A new turkeyhunting blind available for online purchase is illegal to use in Pennsylvania. The new blind incorporates the fanned tail of a gobbler to hide a hunter’s form, but because it does not hide all hunter movement from behind or within, it cannot be used legally to hunt turkeys."

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 08:25:06 AM »
Regarding the PA regulation, what possible reasoning could there be for that?  I understand the part about the "turkey umbrella" being illegal for safety reasons, but not allowing natural blinds to be built?  WTF?...

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 10:51:12 AM »
Regarding the PA regulation, what possible reasoning could there be for that?  I understand the part about the "turkey umbrella" being illegal for safety reasons, but not allowing natural blinds to be built?  WTF?...

My guess is paranoia...

The only thought process that comes to mind, PA game commission doesn't believe a hunter partially concealed in a natural blind, making turkey sounds and slight movement is safe - cause he'll get shot by another hunter that randomly shoots at movement in the brush that sounds like a turkey!

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 01:18:36 PM »

My guess is paranoia...

The only thought process that comes to mind, PA game commission doesn't believe a hunter partially concealed in a natural blind, making turkey sounds and slight movement is safe - cause he'll get shot by another hunter that randomly shoots at movement in the brush that sounds like a turkey!

It does make one wonder what level of common sense is used in decisions like that. 

So the guy that sits down in front of a tree and cuts one branch off and sticks it in the ground in front of him is in violation of the law for creating a ground blind? 

And then there's the question of where the logic comes from that concludes that the guy that sits at the base of a tree without a blind is somehow more likely to get shot than someone that is in a completely enclosed artificial blind?  Show me some data that supports that claim and I will accept it,...until then, it's just nonsense made up in somebody's vivid imagination.   

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 10:50:11 PM »

My guess is paranoia...

It does make one wonder what level of common sense is used in decisions like that. 

So the guy that sits down in front of a tree and cuts one branch off and sticks it in the ground in front of him is in violation of the law for creating a ground blind? 

And then there's the question of where the logic comes from that concludes that the guy that sits at the base of a tree without a blind is somehow more likely to get shot than someone that is in a completely enclosed artificial blind?  Show me some data that supports that claim and I will accept it,...until then, it's just nonsense made up in somebody's vivid imagination.   

Plus......don't forget, if on state game lands, I'm pretty sure cutting that branch will get you in trouble also. Have a read on some more fun stuff. I would imagine that you could be cited for taking a pee, or god forbid a #2, leaving behind a paper trail. "No stream pollution, erosion, etc". I love PA, but some things sure make my head spin..........LOL
 :newmascot:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/subchapCtoc.html
 :newmascot:

By the way, I've never heard of anyone being cited for going to the bathroom, but I have heard of people getting cited for cutting branches.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 09:23:45 AM »
Remember the brain wave discussion in the strategy section?

well in Pa. it's that bad that if a game warden has you under observation and thinks you might be sending out brain waves about piles of corn near your setup you could be cited for baiting.

the attitude in which their laws used to be written is that right off the bat you are either a criminal or a child. now the way it's written you have to be half a lawyer to understand them, and Maryland is just as bad or worse.

baiting in Md. for deer (not turkey) is legal, I don't bait, just my preference.