OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Leave it be, or make an adjustment?

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 21, 2017, 01:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Got out to the range today and checked the pattern on my 870. Here are three pictures: 10 yard POA/POI check, 40 yard pattern, and 50 yard pattern, respectively. Should I adjust the sights, or leave it be?

Bowguy

Are you shooting off a rest? Where you aiming? 40 yards more shot looks high n the next one looks left. Dead birds but w a tight pattern you could miss if poi isn't correct

YELPA

Same questions for me.  Clean or dirty barrel? 

Yelper

Another question is are you aiming for the head? If so, I personally would aim where the skin meets the feathers to help with not shooting high.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Yelper on February 21, 2017, 05:43:51 PM
Another question is are you aiming for the head? If so, I personally would aim where the skin meets the feathers to help with not shooting high.
Great point.

Bowguy

Quote from: Yelper on February 21, 2017, 05:43:51 PM
That's what I was getting at aim point wise

MickT

50 yarder looks pretty darn splotchy. Aim at the wattles and don't shoot past 40 and you're good. You'll take the head clean off inside 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerbasshunter3

I was aiming between the waddles and the head. I really don't want to mess with the sights because of how tight it is up close and the fact that the shot is dead on at 10 yards.

Wouldn't adjusting the sights, to get the pattern down at 40, change the POI up close, which could cause me to miss a bird up close?

taylorjones20

As mentioned above, if you were not shooting off of a rest then it could just be you...

To answer your last question.  You won't notice much poi change at 10 yards from a slight adjustment of the sights.  But you will notice more of a poi change at 40 yards from a slight adjustment of the sights.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

deerbasshunter3

So, I should be aiming at the waddles? If I would have aimed at the waddles, the 40 yard pattern would be alot better. Not sure there is much that could be done about the 50 yard pattern.

If I adjust the sights to hit more to the right, in order to give the 50 yard shot a better pattern, it will mess up the 40 yard pattern.

I was using a sand bag, but was holding the shotgun with my hand on top of the sandbag. Like most things, I am probably over-thinking this... I have no doubt that I can kill a turkey out to 40 yards with this setup.

I only took one shot at each distance, so there is even a chance the 50 yard pattern could be better than that if I were to shoot it again...

Bowguy

I normally aim for the wattles., think about it very simply. Let's say your pattern  was perfect n you aimed for head, at least half the pattern is going into the woods so in a sense you're throwing half a pattern at em.
To get a perfect pattern you gotta shoot more than 3 shells. You want to shoot n see what you're average is. Way I'd do it is be totally rested n get everything right than practice in a turkey shooting position. You're gonna burn a few shells.
Forget the 50 yards hunting anyway

MickT

I think your pattern is simply falling to pieces past 40. Either try another load if you think you need to shoot that far or limit yourself to 40 yards and in.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: MickT on February 22, 2017, 04:37:12 PM
I think your pattern is simply falling to pieces past 40. Either try another load if you think you need to shoot that far or limit yourself to 40 yards and in.

40 yards is the limit norm, so I will most likely stick to 40 and under anyways.

learn2hide

I agree with the others...aim at the waddles always you buy yourself maximum room for error.  Your pattern is plenty good out to 40 and all patterns struggle beyond that.  I wouldn't make much adjustment to that at all considering you stated you aimed at the head.  Good luck!! :OGturkeyhead:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

davisd9

All patterns are pretty much starting to drop after 40 yards +\- a few yards. It used to be 30 where a pattern maxed out, then 35.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer