OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: NEF 12 ga - Single Shot (UPDATED POST-SUMTOY WORK)  (Read 4431 times)

Offline YELPA

NEF 12 ga - Single Shot (UPDATED POST-SUMTOY WORK)
« on: February 20, 2017, 09:04:46 PM »
Last one from this morning at 30 yards by tape measure.  58 degrees, sunshine and calm.  I've been shooting Hevi-13 6s in this gun for several years but found the 5s to be a more even pattern this morning and only a 5 or 6 # drop in pellets in the 10" circle.  Next gun project is getting this one threaded for screw-in choke.  Put a Bushnell TRS-25 on the other day after getting it drilled and taped for a scope.  This is a composite stock NEF 12 gauge Pardner.  It is light, light, light.  The Hevi-13 2 3/4" shells are easy on the shoulder for this gun. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:28:30 PM by YELPA »

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
Re: NEF 12 ga - Fixed Full - 2 3/4", 1 1/2 ounce - Hevi-13 5s
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 08:58:30 AM »
Great hunting pattern! :gobble:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 06:13:31 PM »
Great hunting pattern! :gobble:
yep

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 03:18:13 PM »
Great hunting pattern, if you dont plan on shooting farther than 25 yards. No offense but that's horrible as far as numbers are concerned.That said, that will kill just fine @ 30 yds, then again so wont a $0.25 skeet load. Try some 2&3/4" Federal Heavyweight #7s if your recoil shy. They do well with fixed full chokes and should put up over 100 in the 10" @ 40.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »
Well, with all due respect, I remember a time not too long ago where we marvelled at a pattern like this and we killed turkeys as well. Are there better loads; yes. Are there better patterns at 40 yards and even 30 yards; yes. I think far too often we forget that it's the hunt that matters and not that we have the biggest and baddest gun in the woods. I have personally killed many roosters with high brass 2 3/4" 4's out of a full choke barrel that didn't come close to this pattern...
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 05:02:50 PM »
Yep again .
And the Hw7 is not a bad idea either .
That pattern there will kill em dead and dead as is though .
As Iowaoctane pointed out, many have died with a lesser count pattern and many more will still be taken  in the future .

Offline YELPA

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »
Thank you for your thoughts!  No offense taken.  I've shot it the past two years, while being conscious to keep it 30 yards max.  I love the gun for it's simplicity and minimal weight.  Looks like a few others out there like that, too.  However, It is what it is.  Whereas it is not as is, I do want it to be a comfortable 40 yard gun with the 2 3/4" Hevi 13s.  Thus, why the barrel is in the mail to SumToy, now. 
I set-up my Rossi single shot 12 for the Fed HW 7s and the 2 3/4" shells.  The Rossi is a wood stock/forearm and has a pound + on this NEF synthetic stock/forearm.  I had read about the success people are having w/ a fixed full and Fed HWs, so I shot one in this gun, too.  Night and day as to recoil with the Fed HWs in the Rossi and NEF.  One shot was enough for me to know, I'll use the Fed HW in the Rossi and work on the NEF.  POI was so far off with that one shot, I couldn't get a 10" circle on the small target I shot it at, so have no clue whether the results would have justified further shoulder punishment.

Offline gobblermadness

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 09:27:04 AM »
I would go with it.....the Hevi -13 shells will DO IT. I am super
impressed

Offline YELPA

Re: NEF 12 ga - Single Shot (UPDATED POST-SUMTOY WORK)
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 11:38:39 PM »
William at SumToy did some work on this gun for me: thread for screw-in choke, forcing cone lengthened and .650 choke.  Fired this at the range today at 40 yards by tape measure with 3" Rooster 1.5 ounce 6s.  186 in the ten inch.  Fired it at 23 steps to check POI and pattern was contained in a 7 or 8 inch circle.  Didn't get a picture of the POI check shot.  Attaching a picture of the gun post-work.  Quite a transformation and thanks William!

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 05:29:18 AM »
 :morning:
William did ya right! I'm thinking this one's finished! Very nice!!!
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 08:05:02 AM »
Looks good.  I am glad it worked out for you. 

Thanks for your business.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 08:49:17 PM »
good looking turkey rig
it's not the harvest,it's the chase