OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 and star dot choke

Started by Happy, March 16, 2018, 06:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Now I am not a hole counter but I wanted to see what longbeards would do. Nothing scientific but here it is. 3.5" 2oz #5 longbeards out of an original star dot choke. Poi was off a bit but that's a 10.25" circle and I usually don't count but right in the neighborhood of 195 in the circle and I was cheating towards the conservitive side. 33 degrees out and 43 steps. Hope this helps someone.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

bbcoach

That's a Great pattern in 33 degree weather with #5's.  When she warms up to 60-70 degrees the count will go even higher.  Inside 30 yards, you better shoot it like a rifle, she's going to be TIGHT!

Happy

Quote from: bbcoach on March 16, 2018, 09:04:15 PM
That's a Great pattern in 33 degree weather with #5's.  When she warms up to 60-70 degrees the count will go even higher.  Inside 30 yards, you better shoot it like a rifle, she's going to be TIGHT!
This is my first run with long beards. Does temperature affect the pattern like standard loads? I typically always try to take the shot around 25-30 yards but like having confidence at forty with a little thrown in for range estimation errors. This was just a quick shot while kneeling in the snow and I shoot a dot scope so I am not to worried about about the poi. I can adjust for that.

tha bugman

Happy

I always heard they were incredibly tight at 20 so test out from 20, 30,and 40 yards.
I was pleasantly surprised to see I had some wiggle room still so i think I will run it this spring.

jordanz7935

Tom Foolery

I don't miss the recoil from my 835/Stardot combo but they are patterning machines.  It was harder to find something that didn't pattern acceptably at 40yds with my 835 than it was to find a good load for my 870.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase