OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Central PA Gobbling 2017  (Read 14028 times)

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Central PA Gobbling 2017
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2017, 07:15:11 AM »
Took the kids out with me to a piece of SGL I found on Hunt Stand. Found a bird who gobbled 100+ times from 6 til we got out of earshot at 6:45. 32 degrees, gorgeous morning

Offline trefalga

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2017, 12:27:05 PM »
Took the kids out with me to a piece of SGL I found on Hunt Stand. Found a bird who gobbled 100+ times from 6 til we got out of earshot at 6:45. 32 degrees, gorgeous morning
Sounds like an awesome morning !!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2017, 12:44:23 PM »
Wife saw 6 Toms at 5:30 pm last evening just down the road from us. She said they were sparring with each other and creating a ruckus. Watched them for a few minutes, then they went back in the woods.
 :OGani: :OGani:

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2017, 08:09:23 AM »
04/10/2017
42 Degrees with very clear skies. Very calm. Early daybreak.

Ok, today was a little strange. I really expected more activity, but here is what happened.

5:45 - Grab coffee and headed out to the back deck. Still pretty dark, but I heard my 1st gobble as soon as I sat down. Was over on the mountain. Had to still be on the roost, as it was pretty dark.

5:48 - Heard what sounded like 3 birds at same place. Just a couple gobbles.

5:50 - 6:10 - Heard just a few more gobbles from same birds. Not much.

6:15 -6:30 - 2 more gobbles same birds. Then nothing after 6:30.

Here are the strange parts:
Gobblers started very early.........still dark. I probably should have been out earlier.
My guess, they had hens and gave a "roost gobble", flew down to them and shut-up.
Rooster down the road didn't start until well after daybreak, about 6:10. He is usually 1st.
Only heard 2 crows briefly...............usually lots of activity.
Only heard a couple "tweety birds"...............usually very active.

For such a beautiful morning it was pretty quiet. Maybe they had a busy weekend...........LOL
Goes to show you, what we think may be a good day, may not be a good day for them.
Always a mystery.

:OGturkeyhead:

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2017, 08:54:40 AM »
04/10/2017

Ok, today was a little strange. I really expected more activity, but here is what happened.

5:45 - Grab coffee and headed out to the back deck. Still pretty dark, but I heard my 1st gobble as soon as I sat down. Was over on the mountain. Had to still be on the roost, as it was pretty dark.

Gobblers started very early.........still dark. I probably should have been out earlier.
My guess, they had hens and gave a "roost gobble", flew down to them and shut-up.
Rooster down the road didn't start until well after daybreak, about 6:10. He is usually 1st.

For such a beautiful morning it was pretty quiet. Maybe they had a busy weekend...........LOL
Goes to show you, what we think may be a good day, may not be a good day for them.
Always a mystery.

Have you experienced Gobbling hangover... I have a theory that sometimes after a day where the birds go nuts even if its just as nice out or even better then seem quiet like they are exhausted from the ruckus of the previous day. I'm sure it's not based on science or fact but its how I explain some of those "perfect" days that are oddly quiet and slow in my head lol

It could easily be that the gobblers are just roosted right with the hens and don't need to gobble much, maybe strut on the limb more and then they fly down together and continue to strut with no need to gobble (attract) any hens.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »
04/10/2017

Always a mystery.

Have you experienced Gobbling hangover... I have a theory that sometimes after a day where the birds go nuts even if its just as nice out or even better then seem quiet like they are exhausted from the ruckus of the previous day. I'm sure it's not based on science or fact but its how I explain some of those "perfect" days that are oddly quiet and slow in my head lol

It could easily be that the gobblers are just roosted right with the hens and don't need to gobble much, maybe strut on the limb more and then they fly down together and continue to strut with no need to gobble (attract) any hens.

Yep. This was one of those days. At least for those birds. If I was a betting man, I would have bet they would be gobbling their heads off. A gobbler does, as a gobbler wants. We ain't never going to change that. My guess is they had all they needed, right their with them.

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2017, 09:10:31 AM »
Friday heard one lone gobble at 600 am ,,, today  Saturday  heard bout 6 different birds heard 2 gobbles between 6- 630 but seemed strange at 645 they  all just went off for half hour

hens was just yelping away this morning
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P67YFfoiUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E7avxY31mY
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2017, 10:11:04 AM »
Friday heard one lone gobble at 600 am ,,, today  Saturday  heard bout 6 different birds heard 2 gobbles between 6- 630 but seemed strange at 645 they  all just went off for half hour

hens was just yelping away this morning
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P67YFfoiUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E7avxY31mY

Nice catch on the videos. I haven't been able to get out the last couple mornings. Love to hear a good spring morning.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2017, 08:22:38 AM »
04/16/2017 - back out after a few days off.

5:30am - Already had my coffee made, sitting outside, comfy. Temp about 55 degrees. rain clouds approaching, very calm. "Tweety Birds" already starting. Expected to here them early. Nothing.

5:40am - Slight rain off and on and the wind picked up a bit. Nothing.

6:15am. - I heard my 1st bird. Gave a couple gobbles and quit.

6:35 - Raining more often now, so I went back in.

7:05 - Clearing up, calm, but I got to get ready for church.

Surprisingly quiet morning.

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2017, 09:07:09 AM »
different spot today
same here poured rain at 530 quit at 550 looked radar and seen another round was coming
600am give them  them a owl hoot one gobble was it,,, rain and heavy wind till 630 cleared out and hung out till 730 and nothing
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
My YouTube

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 08:29:41 AM »
04/19/2017 - Overcast looking like rain coming. 45 degrees very calm, could hear a country mile.
Birds started gobbling at 1st light and continued for about 20 minutes. Then it started a light rain and all went quiet. I went back in after hearing nothing for about thee next 20 minutes. Pretty active, but for a short period.

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2017, 08:25:30 PM »
GOOD GRIEF!! Opening day forecast now calling for 85 degrees!! Ugh!

Lets hope that changes between now and then..

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2017, 01:31:40 PM »
GOOD GRIEF!! Opening day forecast now calling for 85 degrees!! Ugh!

Lets hope that changes between now and then..

No worries! Check the forecast again in a couple of days and will probably say 29 degrees and 40 MPH winds.........................LOL!
They can't predict a forecast that far in advance if their life depended on it.
I always wait and check it a day or 2 before.
A meteorologist is the only job where you can screw up constantly and still be employed..........LOL!
I certainly hope it is not hot. Give me wake-up of 45-50 degrees and a high of 60-65.
 :fud: :OGani:

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2017, 09:04:32 AM »
34 degrees  slight frost sunny morning birds started at 545 and just hammered for an hour from roost and when they hit the ground  ,,they was getting close so I left ,,,,, would have been great morning to have a gun lol
My YouTube

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2017, 09:12:13 PM »
Went out to the property I hunt Saturday.
Rained pretty good until about 5:15am, then cleared up.
5:50am 4 gobblers about 150 yards from where I usually set up hammered pretty good until about 6:20.
Gobbled their dang heads off, then not a peep.
If I would have got there at 6:30, I would have sworn not a bird around.
Looking good if they stay put.
 :fud: :OGani: