Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Devotional Friday 4/08/2011 "Are You Ready for the Hunts of a Lifetime"

Started by BOFF, April 07, 2011, 11:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

As some may know, I've had a Blessed year so far this turkey season. I've never limited out in my home state of Alabama, (limit is 5) and I never have had a chance to turkey hunt elsewhere, but this year is looking different. I've had several successful hunts with me doing the shooting, or someone else while I was calling. Due to the nature of hunting, we know it's not easy, but at times, it seems we are given a few hunts on a silver platter, and all we need to do is just show up.

Well, I've had 3 of the past 4 hunts until Tuesday, be just as written above, stupid easy hunts. Just show up, and be in the right spot at the right time. I reported to my friends we don't get many of those easy hunts in our lifetime, and  I was going to be worried if another one happened this year, as we don't get that many hunts of a lifetime, and mine were getting used up. Well, my Tuesday hunt was another stupid easy hunt, meaning, my lifetime must be coming to an end!!!

Seriously though, in thinking about the above, and the past several weeks, God has been speaking to me about getting my house in order, and being prepared. I've been thinking about several verses, and had several verses communicated to me the last 2 weeks through daily readings, sermons, radio, friends, and several funerals in the last two weeks. For the verses, these have made an imprint on my heart:

Luke 12:39-40 (Amplified Bible)
39But of this be assured: if the householder had known at what time the burglar was coming, he would have been awake and alert and watching and would not have permitted his house to be dug through and broken into.
40You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour and a moment when you do not anticipate it.

2 Peter 3:10 (New International Version 1984)
10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.

As I was thinking about the verses above, and my mind suddenly switched gears a little from the usual way I think about the verses to another viewpoint. I normally think about our lives or times being up, due to the actual returning of Jesus here on this earth. However, that's not necessarily the way it may happen. What if, the Lord above decides our time is up? I'm not going to argue with Him like Moses on the mountain, I'm not that bold, are you? So that only leaves one option, We're going to be gone from this earth. Maybe a car wreck, freak accident, heart attack. I don't know, but as I've often said and heard, "We're not promised tomorrow." So we need to prepare our houses!!

However, before we can prepare our houses, we have to have the house to prepare. Have you accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior?
Do you know how if you have not done so? It's free for the asking, what's stopping you?  

I encourage you before all your hunts of a lifetime are used up, to prepare your resting place with Jesus.

One never knows if the last hunt was today, or not.

Father God, I thank you for the many opportunities you have given us, to accept your salvation through your son Jesus. I thank you for being my personal Savior, and for being available to all. I pray your Holy Spirit will work though this devotional for those who may not know you personally, and for those who do. Let those of us who know you, prepare our houses, and be on the ready, in all we do. Let those who don't know you, be introduced to your love, grace, and salvation. We thank you for what you have done, and for what you are going to do. Help us to continue to keep our eyes focused on you, and be in tune with your Holy Spirit, and your will for us in each and every day, situation and relationship we have in our lives. For it is in Jesus name we ask and claim these things, Amen!!!

God Bless,
David B.

Roostem33

Great Devotional David, we really don't know when our time is up. One of my best friends and I went on a hunting trip last week we came in from the evening hunt Friday and I got a text from my wife that read they found your friend Hank dead at home today. It was a blow for sure as Hank was 52 years old in great shape and life as he knew it was good. We layed him to rest Monday, but the conversation all weekend was we just never know when our last days are near. Thanks so much for sharing this!!!

Have a awesome week and God Bless,
Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

870supermagnum

David, my brother, that was a great devotional.

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.  Heb. 9:27-28 KJV    :happy0064:

bayou gobbler

David, what a great devotional.  It reall make you appreciate the things in life, like hunting and spending time with family, because like you said we are not promised tomorrow.  I am a new father of a 16 month old son and I try to spend as much time as I can with him, and after reading your devotional it makes me want to spend even more time with him and my wife. 

Thank you and God bless,
Richard

turkey slayer