OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Question bout frog toggs  (Read 6735 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Question bout frog toggs
« on: February 16, 2017, 02:38:50 AM »
Reading life of Riley's post bout rain gear. I personally use a Cabelas suit, prob 15  plus years old. It's more rain resistant for short spells at this point so I've been looking for new gear myself. The frog toggs seemed so noisy. Is there dif models or do they quiet down once they break in

Offline Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Question bout frog toggs
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 04:20:36 AM »
I've had 3 different suits of them and they all sounded like I was wearing a bag of Doritos until the day they died

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 06:07:06 AM »
I wear Cabela's MTO50 Gore-Tex

MK M GOBL 

Offline Tombo

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:52:09 AM »
Frog toggs are very noisy, and briers literally shred them. But they are cheap.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 10:49:01 AM »
Agree, Frog toggs are better for seating in a boat fishing. Not so good for hunting because of the noise and easy to damage.. I have a set of Kool Dri and they are a little better, but noisy and easy to damage also..I have a pair of Field and Stream rain gear  that i like the best and i paid around 125 dollars for it on sale...

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 12:35:42 PM »
I have Frogg Toggs and mostly use them on the boat.  Tougher than they look, but not very tough. I tend to hunt fields when rainy and find the noise is not that bad as long as I move slow.  Very slow.  Think snail on qualudes. 

Rivers West is the best for the money (not Sitka best, but not Sitka priced either).  The only problem is that RW is warm.  There are gussets under the pits to let out heat, but unless it is low 60s, they are too warm for me.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 03:51:58 PM »
All of them I've seen are loud. I got a set I bought for out west. Used them once or twice. I suppose the noise isn't so bad if it's raining hard. I just couldn't walk around in them, they don't breathe well. I think they are meant for inactivity. I wouldn't dare try them in the turkey woods, the briars will eat them up. Out west it wasn't so thick but I wound up just taking them off and getting wet.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 04:43:15 PM »
Sounds like they're a really bad choice. I'll just reseal my old Cabelas n forget about it for this year

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 05:05:12 PM »
Very slow.  Think snail on qualudes. 

Don't know how many people caught that but it's the funniest thing I've read in a long time !!  :TooFunny:

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 06:42:31 PM »
I wear a Cabelas rain jacket and hurry along until I find a place to pitch my blind..that I keep in the truck for hunting with my boy or these special occasions ..Whoever wants to sit in the rain have at er,but I aint....

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 11:40:19 PM »
I have used Frogg Toggs for years, basically as a disposable jacket...

They do keep you dry, but the last two I had broke the first time I used them (front zippers came off the jacket).  And, the material itself is fragile (I have ripped them taking them out of my hunting bag when stuffed in a bit tight).

This year I am going to a premium jacket...  We had a wet duck season this year, and I did not enjoy being miserable every time it rained.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline jims

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 09:17:01 PM »
You generally get what you pay for with raingear.  If you want the very best go with Sitka or Kuiu for breathability and relatively quiet with a lifetime guarantee.  The other raingear that I've used and abused in Alaska (where it pours) is Marmot Precip.  I've gotten precip pants and jackets for around $50 each on sale at Sierr@  Trading and elsewhere.  Not all gortex is created equally!  The gortex in Sitka, Kuiu, and Marmot are a step above the rest.  If I'm on a boat in Alaska or elsewhere for days in a downpour and won't be doing much hiking the best waterproof garments are Henley Hanson rubberized raingear.  They don't breath at all so if you are active or where it's warm and humid you may bake!

With that said, I never buy a rain jacket without pitzips.   This keeps me from getting wet from the inside out.  It's possible to open up the pitzip vents to allow air ventilation...especially when hiking or being active.  It also helps having rain pants that unzip on the lower leg so you can take them on/off quick without taking off your boots.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 01:13:19 PM »
You generally get what you pay for with raingear.  If you want the very best go with Sitka or Kuiu for breathability and relatively quiet with a lifetime guarantee.  The other raingear that I've used and abused in Alaska (where it pours) is Marmot Precip.  I've gotten precip pants and jackets for around $50 each on sale at Sierr@  Trading and elsewhere.  Not all gortex is created equally!  The gortex in Sitka, Kuiu, and Marmot are a step above the rest.  If I'm on a boat in Alaska or elsewhere for days in a downpour and won't be doing much hiking the best waterproof garments are Henley Hanson rubberized raingear.  They don't breath at all so if you are active or where it's warm and humid you may bake!

With that said, I never buy a rain jacket without pitzips.   This keeps me from getting wet from the inside out.  It's possible to open up the pitzip vents to allow air ventilation...especially when hiking or being active.  It also helps having rain pants that unzip on the lower leg so you can take them on/off quick without taking off your boots.

Sitka, Kuiu, and First Lite are the big three for quality that I know of...  I think River's West is worth looking into considering cost difference (River's West is about $200 compared to the above being between $300-$400) and reviews, as well as their warranty...

To my knowledge, I did not know that Kuiu, Sitka, or First Lite have life-time warranties...  River's West does though.

I had not heard of Marmot...  Being in the market, that is another one to look into, but it appears that they are not oriented towards hunting...  Being a duck hunter, admittedly the camouflage pattern is a factor, but overall, I want a jacket that will last and keep me above all else dry and comfortable for some years to come.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline jims

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 12:13:05 PM »
Here's by far the best rain jacket for the money!  I've been using Marmot Precip for years on Alaska and Western US trips.  The jacket is only $60 and if you can find a 20 or 30% coupon code it's only $40...which is a steal!!!!  You can likely find the pants for around the same price.  I have several Sitka jackets and the Marmot precip is almost as good!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-precip-jacket-waterproof-for-men~p~116un/?filterString=s~marmot-precip%2F

Offline j.goebel

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 08:09:58 PM »
I have never had any issues with my Frog Toggs suit. Usually when it rains everything is noisy out in the woods or still dripping. Light weight to pack and keep in the turkey vest. For the money I think you get your value out of it and they are fairly breathable compared to other rain suits. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and its your choice.

Thanks,
Justin
Justin Goebel