OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Super black eagle ii with kicks gobbling thunder .655 with long beard Xr #4  (Read 7103 times)

Offline Joseph_walters1

This is my first post on this site a buddy of mine told me about it. I shoot a benelli super black eagle ii I've killed several turkeys with it and I'm gettin a pretty good pattern using a kicks gobbling thunder .655 with Winchester long beard #4s. Getting bout 180 pellets in a 10 in circle at 40. I've heard of several different chokes and I'm considering an Indian creek. My gun really performs the best with 4 shot. I've shot 5s and several types of blends and it likes #4s. What are yalls thought on a choke to get a better pattern. Or will I get a better pattern than the one in my pic it's pretty good. I've also heard kicks chokes don't take steel shot such as mag blends and hevi  shot is that true I saw a post with a kicks choke and mag blends?

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
I think that is a good pattern with number #4 shot. Could it be better yes. I use LB #4 for all my field shooting and I use #6 for close in work such as in the woods. I also use the Kicks .665 however I am shooting a Browning BPS. My Benelli Super Black Eagle ii gets used for other bird hunting.

Most on this forum seem to prefer #6 shot in a variety of shells. I have shot the hevi shot and mag blends. Mag blends work okay for me but I prefer LB and hevi shot will not pattern well in my BPS.

If you are not happy with your current pattern or shot size I would suggest experimenting with different size shot and chokes but first read some of the posts on this site. There are some serious Turkey hunters contributing and providing information. These posts will save you time and money.

Welcome to the forum!

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Joseph_walters1

:blob10: I have shot several different kinds of shells and shot sizes. Mainly 5 and 4s I have been reading several of the posts and I just can't get it in my head to shoot a turkey with 7 shot lol I use that for doves it just don't seem right. I like something that hits one hard such as a 4. I'm wondering is a hevi shot shell ok to shoot in my kicks.

Offline NECKRINGER

you should buy some 7's and shoot a soup can at 40-50 yds with the 7's
then shoot another with copper plated 5's
then shoot one with copper plated 4's
or just lead of both

that will help you get the whole 7's thing

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
I too have a hard time with the idea of 7 shot and I have shot it through different chokes. But for me #4 LB works very well. I killed two Merriam's in New Mexico and an Eastern in VA with the LB. My preferred range in killing Turkeys with this load is basically 30 - 50 yards. Makes some on this forum cringe when I say that but this load flat out kills. Providing of course you can shoot and adjust for tight patterns if you run up on one very close. There are many options for sights. I use open florescent sites that work well for me. It does seem you are ready to go hunting. Hope your strategy and calling are as good as your pattern.

I must also mention that I am terrible turkey hunter and must make up for this by hunting everyday of the season.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline budtripp

• The Boss Gobbler
I misjudged the yardage on my last bird last season....badly. I won't say how far but let's just say the yardage had a 5 in front of it. Bird didn't go anywhere, straight down. Of course he flopped and flopped, but his neck was broken and he wasn't going anywhere. I was shooting hevi #7s. Try them, they ain't nothing like your #7.5 dove loads.

Offline MountNMan

• Rob's Taxidermy & Game Calls
I think with that choke constriction, I would try shooting 3"  #6 shot in the LB shells. I think you would get a better pattern. Just my opinion.
NRA Life Member, NTA Life Member

Offline Joseph_walters1

I appreciate all the response and I'll try some different things however I killed 4 birds last year with them shells and smoked em all. Kinda hard to fix what ain't broke but I just thought I'd try to get the best pattern I could.

Offline MountNMan

• Rob's Taxidermy & Game Calls
Best of luck to ya!
NRA Life Member, NTA Life Member

Offline yelpaholic

• The Boss Gobbler
I wouldnt worry about anything else thats a sweet pattern with hard hitting 4s   

Offline yella yelper

Super black eagle ii with kicks gobbling thunder .655 with long beard Xr #4
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 11:15:09 PM »
My SBE 1 liked kicks 665 with LB 4's. End result looks about the same. I don't know that I would mess with anything

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
Ifn your gettin 180+ in the 10 with lead 4s then you don't really have much to work on in my opinion. As for gettin it in your head about turkeys and #7 shot,try this....Federal Heavyweight 1/3 more dense than lead .....a #7 HW pellet carries more energy @ 60 yds. than a lead #5 does @ 40 yds. Lead weighs 11 G/cc Hevishot weighs 12 G/cc, Federal heavyweight pellets weigh 15 G/cc. Ifn you can find a choke that will pattern good with this load in your gun then I can GUARANTEE ifn you don't put one down graveyard dead at 40 and other yardages we can't mention on here then it will be on you Lol!!!!! Seriously though,180+ with lead 4s gets it done ALL day long !!!!!!