OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gander Mountain going under  (Read 9664 times)

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
Gander Mountain going under
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:42:30 AM »
I hate to see people lose jobs but this has been brewing for a while. They have zero commitment to customer service and their pricing is way out of line....they made their bed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-gandermountain-bankruptcy-idUSKBN15P2N5

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
Re: Gander Mountain going under
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:09:55 AM »
Yes sad to see. They were closing a store near Pittsburg last month. I picked up several great deals.
Don't gobble at me...

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 09:17:29 AM »
It used to be a great place to find reloading items and harder to find hunting items.  Their free shipping was also hard to beat.  The last 5 yrs or so they went away from that and it is not really worth walking in the store any more.  It is a shame, but everything they now carry can be found everywhere else and usually for a better price.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline turkeyfoot

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 10:01:17 AM »
I found some good clearance deals there few times but that is about it also hate to see people lose jobs and hate to see a store go under that can compete with others on pricing but sounds like they didn't compete to good

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 10:08:11 AM »
I did not like the store layout at all....waayyy to spaced out for the merchandise that they had.  Also, the lighting was way too bright to make me want to relax and enjoy the trip....but I will say the gun selection was amazing....although I never bought the first one in there.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 10:22:47 AM »
Our Gander Mountain, was a place for thieves and meth heads to steal and sale guns. People were finding gun stolen from them within just a few day at Gander Mt. My son-law and daughter house was broken into, and after they stole several guns and jewelry, his dad found most of the guns stolen on the gun racks in the store.

hobbes

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »
I prefer Sportsman's Warehouse but never had any problems with the Gander Mountains that I was able to visit.  I never noticed their prices being any different than the other stores.  In fact Dunns and Shooters in Paducah were typically more expensive.  I liked the one in Paducah, KY but never felt like they had enough customers in a store that big for it to be very profitable (except Christmas).  I bought at least one gun from the one in Paducah and one gun from one in Denver.   

Offline renegade19

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 12:06:04 PM »
I was in the one in Paducah a couple times, it was ok.  Got a spinning rod combo on sale that I still use probably 10 years later.  New one in Marion is decent enough.  Guy in the fishing department knows his stuff.  I agree on their prices being too high for the most part.

Offline Rick Howard

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 01:17:46 PM »
More bad for the consumer.  Eventually we will be left with one option.  I see all of retail going this direction. Only a few players will be left and will cross markets.   

Did you know that you can purchase a toilet and have it installed by.... Amazon?

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »
Did you know that you can purchase a toilet and have it installed by.... Amazon?

Did not know this, wonder if they use the same contractors Lowe's and Home Depot use?
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 03:08:23 PM »
Gander was always high on their prices, but I have purchased a lot from them over the years. Mainly due to limited options when I need something quick.   

pabossie255

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 03:41:55 PM »
It dose not surprise me as I went in there to buy a mount for my 11-87 that was tapped to a different mount know idea what mount but the guy could not find one to fit it so instead of just saying well no go the guy just you make a sell tells me to use a 2 piece set only use one piece of the set and only use one screw as both were not lined up.  And I even told the guy the Tru Glo gobble stopper I was getting was longer that the mount he says it will just hang off the end it will be fine. I said are you kidding me? With the kick of a 12 ga and only one screw and the weight of the gobble stopper. Sad thing is this guy used to work at a well known sporting goods store in my area before they closed after Gander opened up here.

Offline beakbuster10

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 03:59:47 PM »
I loved gander mountains soft plastic baits. For the money they were really tough to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wmn2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 04:27:13 PM »
My dad picked up some good deals on ammo when the one near him went under not long ago. He said they had zero reloading supplies though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 04:52:46 PM »
There's a Bass Pro Shop, Cabela's, and Field & Stream all less than 25 miles from the Gander Mountain in our area.  Their Morrisville, NC store just opened within the past 2-3 years too.  Not much cause to shop Gander Mtn when better deals can be had in the same area.  Too bad they were late coming to the party.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.