only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 youth rebuild explanation?

Started by aeasley10, February 13, 2017, 01:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

Quote from: aeasley10 on April 25, 2017, 12:58:17 AM
Quote from: SteelerFan on February 13, 2017, 07:10:31 PM
I just finished my project. Haven't shot it yet, but I'm confident it will do well at the range.

I wanted a dedicated turkey gun, and with the advancement in ammunition I wanted to go with a 20 gauge for the size and weight of the gun. Also because I had a Remington youth 20 already. Is / was my son's gun. He no longer uses it, since he's 6' 2.

I made myself a $200 budget. Figured if I was going to dump a bunch of money in it, I might as well buy a new Weatherby SA459 or similar, along with a FastFire sight, etc.

So...

I bought a shurshot stock on sale at midway ($45), added a B-square saddle mount ($42) / Truglo gobbler dot sight ($42) and a Sumtoy choke ($70). Did a quick homemade / not much thought / camo job to the add-ons. Didn't do receiver or barrel, because of keeping original integrity of the gun. That may change, as well as sight system, etc.

But for now, I have a dedicated 20 ga. turkey rig for $200 and a couple hours labor.

Have you had any issues with paint scratching or flaking off?  What kind of paint did u use?  Did u clear coat it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've carried it for a week so far in the woods... (love this compact gun, by the way!)

I have not had any issues with paint coming off at all. I did not clear coat it, although I would imagine that would add a layer of protection. I literally spent $5 on the paint from the craft section at Walmart. I picked flat acrylic paints in the various "camo" colors in the small squeeze bottles. Applied it with natural sponge (also craft section).

The beauty of this camo job - if you do happen to scratch an area, or find it has come off for some reason... just re-apply more paint. It takes very little paint, so those little bottles could probably do dozens of stock sets.