News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 youth rebuild explanation?

Started by aeasley10, February 13, 2017, 01:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sand Man

Quote from: eorlando on February 14, 2017, 01:51:52 PM
Sand man that is an awesome looking gun. I want it. I would love to build one like that. I just need to do it. All in all how much money do you think the build cost?

Thanks.  It all depends on what you pay for gun and components.  I've paid as little as $160 for a youth 20ga that the stocks were trashed on.  I didn't care as I was replacing them and painting the guns.  I've paid as much as $250, but youth gun already had synthetic stocks and even had the Knoxx on it.  Someone had bought it and converted for a home defense shotgun.  The rail runs about $10 thru Amazon, and my smith charges $40 to drill, tap, and attaching.  They synthetic forearm from Remington was $20ish, but the SureShot I just bought came with the forearm for $45.  I've paid as little as $5 for the choke to $30 now that they are hard to find since I use the "lead only" SuperFull from Remington that they don't produce any more.  On the Burris, I paid $240 for one from Cabela's to $100 for a used one when the III's came out.  I recently bought a BNIB Fast Fire III for $180.  I think the WarBird guard was $40.  With all that said, if you bargin shopped and weren't in a hurry you could have a dedicated gun from $300 on the low side like you see above to $550 on the high side.

The paint can be as simple or as complex as you make it.  The gun above I spent many hours on.  It was my first, and I went a little overboard.  I've learned something new and more efficient on each one.  I've painted 5 plus.  I'll try to dig up some more pictures.  I'm in the process of painting a Benelli M1 duck gun for a buddy.  Going to be a super simple paint job.  The real work is in the prep to paint.  You have to sand everything down to bare metal or scuff up the plastic stock, tape off everything you don't want paint on, remove all dirt/oil/grease, spray primer, sand that down, and spray primer again.  If you do a good job on getting the primer on, the paint will last.  I painted that gun above in 2006.

Quote from: aeasley10 on February 14, 2017, 02:27:26 PM
Sand man that looks sweet thanks for those pics.  I'd love to hear how u think the sure shot stock feels compared to the Knoxx.  And is the sure shot compatible for a left hand shooter?

Thanks.  I bought two sets of SureShots for builds.  Hopefully I get to pattern them this weekend or next weekend as long as the weather holds.  I'll let you know what I think.  Stock looks symmetrical to me, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for a leftie.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

SteelerFan

Quote from: aeasley10 on February 14, 2017, 01:40:11 PM
Quote from: SteelerFan on February 14, 2017, 07:01:06 AM
^^^ Agree with Ridge Rooster. The shurshot "points"  very well, very natural. It's definitely made for a raised sight system.

The B-square saddle mount does not require any drill & tap. The trigger assembly retention pins are replaced with bolts that fasten the mount. Not as sleek as a rail mount.

The camo is just craft store acrylics and pieces of natural sponge used to apply. You could spray a matt finish clear coat to protect it - but this doesn't need it. If it gets scratched, just grab a sponge and a squirt of fresh paint.
Could u post a pic of the other side of the stock butt, I can't seem to find one of that angle?  I shoot lefty, so just wondering how it would feel for me.

Also if I wanted to run a pic rail, I assume I'd have to drill and tap it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shurshot stock is ambidextrous. Not only that, both sides are the same! lol... Won't be any different as a lefty.

Yes - if you want to install a rail mount, the receiver needs to be drilled and tapped.

SteelerFan

Quote from: Sand Man on February 14, 2017, 03:36:56 PM
The paint can be as simple or as complex as you make it.  The gun above I spent many hours on.[/size]  It was my first, and I went a little overboard.  I've learned something new and more efficient on each one.  I've painted 5 plus.  I'll try to dig up some more pictures.  I'm in the process of painting a Benelli M1 duck gun for a buddy.  Going to be a super simple paint job.  The real work is in the prep to paint.  You have to sand everything down to bare metal or scuff up the plastic stock, tape off everything you don't want paint on, remove all dirt/oil/grease, spray primer, sand that down, and spray primer again.  If you do a good job on getting the primer on, the paint will last.  I painted that gun above in 2006.

It looks awesome! And unique   :icon_thumright:

Greg Massey

Quote from: SteelerFan on February 14, 2017, 05:50:07 PM
Quote from: aeasley10 on February 14, 2017, 01:40:11 PM
Quote from: SteelerFan on February 14, 2017, 07:01:06 AM
^^^ Agree with Ridge Rooster. The shurshot "points"  very well, very natural. It's definitely made for a raised sight system.

The B-square saddle mount does not require any drill & tap. The trigger assembly retention pins are replaced with bolts that fasten the mount. Not as sleek as a rail mount.

The camo is just craft store acrylics and pieces of natural sponge used to apply. You could spray a matt finish clear coat to protect it - but this doesn't need it. If it gets scratched, just grab a sponge and a squirt of fresh paint.
Could u post a pic of the other side of the stock butt, I can't seem to find one of that angle?  I shoot lefty, so just wondering how it would feel for me.

Also if I wanted to run a pic rail, I assume I'd have to drill and tap it?

The shurshot stock is ambidextrous. Not only that, both sides are the same! lol... Won't be any different as a lefty.

Yes - if you want to install a rail mount, the receiver needs to be drilled and tapped.
You can run a saddle mount that will have a Weaver Rail....also with the saddle you can still see your sight bead...I used the saddle on mine with a Simmons turkey scope and i still can see under the rail..

aeasley10

Quote from: Sand Man on February 14, 2017, 03:36:56 PM
Quote from: eorlando on February 14, 2017, 01:51:52 PM
Sand man that is an awesome looking gun. I want it. I would love to build one like that. I just need to do it. All in all how much money do you think the build cost?

Thanks.  It all depends on what you pay for gun and components.  I've paid as little as $160 for a youth 20ga that the stocks were trashed on.  I didn't care as I was replacing them and painting the guns.  I've paid as much as $250, but youth gun already had synthetic stocks and even had the Knoxx on it.  Someone had bought it and converted for a home defense shotgun.  The rail runs about $10 thru Amazon, and my smith charges $40 to drill, tap, and attaching.  They synthetic forearm from Remington was $20ish, but the SureShot I just bought came with the forearm for $45.  I've paid as little as $5 for the choke to $30 now that they are hard to find since I use the "lead only" SuperFull from Remington that they don't produce any more.  On the Burris, I paid $240 for one from Cabela's to $100 for a used one when the III's came out.  I recently bought a BNIB Fast Fire III for $180.  I think the WarBird guard was $40.  With all that said, if you bargin shopped and weren't in a hurry you could have a dedicated gun from $300 on the low side like you see above to $550 on the high side.

The paint can be as simple or as complex as you make it.  The gun above I spent many hours on.  It was my first, and I went a little overboard.  I've learned something new and more efficient on each one.  I've painted 5 plus.  I'll try to dig up some more pictures.  I'm in the process of painting a Benelli M1 duck gun for a buddy.  Going to be a super simple paint job.  The real work is in the prep to paint.  You have to sand everything down to bare metal or scuff up the plastic stock, tape off everything you don't want paint on, remove all dirt/oil/grease, spray primer, sand that down, and spray primer again.  If you do a good job on getting the primer on, the paint will last.  I painted that gun above in 2006.

Quote from: aeasley10 on February 14, 2017, 02:27:26 PM
Sand man that looks sweet thanks for those pics.  I'd love to hear how u think the sure shot stock feels compared to the Knoxx.  And is the sure shot compatible for a left hand shooter?

Thanks.  I bought two sets of SureShots for builds.  Hopefully I get to pattern them this weekend or next weekend as long as the weather holds.  I'll let you know what I think.  Stock looks symmetrical to me, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for a leftie.
How does the knoxx feel comfort wise for cheek height with an optic, and recoil ?

davisd9

The shorter barrels seem to shoot better than the longer 20 ga barrels and more consistently.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Sand Man

Quote from: aeasley10 on February 15, 2017, 09:43:36 AM
How does the knoxx feel comfort wise for cheek height with an optic, and recoil ?

Love the Knoxx.  I'd still be buying them for builds if they weren't discontinued.  I've never noticed an issue with cheek weld to the stock, but they do make a cheek piece that snaps on top of the knoxx if you want it higher.  I don't notice any felt recoil.  I'm larger that most humans, so felt recoil to me is going to be much different that the average size person.  I did put a limbsaver on my Knoxx and have yet to have another adult or kid complain about recoil.

Dtrkyman

Are the aftermarket stocks heavier?  Looking to build a 20 myself and most of the ones I like are not much lighter than my sbe2.   The new longbeard 20 is awesome but almost 7lbs

Sand Man

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 16, 2017, 08:41:53 AM
Are the aftermarket stocks heavier?  Looking to build a 20 myself and most of the ones I like are not much lighter than my sbe2.   The new longbeard 20 is awesome but almost 7lbs

My gun as pictured above not loaded is under 6 pounds.  I built a SBE I, 24" barrel gun with Steady Grip stock before I got into the 20's.  I can promise you my 20 ga is MUCH lighter.

Dtrkyman

Stock 870 youth is listed at 6lbs...would like to keep it there!

Greg Massey

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 16, 2017, 08:48:49 PM
Stock 870 youth is listed at 6lbs...would like to keep it there!

I just don't know if you can keep it at 6 pounds with extended choke, rail, and a sling ...

Stumpy225

Lefty here and the sure shot stock works great.

AUTiger

I have a brand new 870 that I'm building right now and have the shurshot stock.  It seems that stock might be a little better with optics or some kind of fiber optic sight due to the higher comb.  I plan to put optics on it eventually but just in case I can't get that done in the next few weeks, what fiber optics would you guys recommend.   

Greg Massey

Quote from: AUTiger on February 17, 2017, 11:14:55 AM
I have a brand new 870 that I'm building right now and have the shurshot stock.  It seems that stock might be a little better with optics or some kind of fiber optic sight due to the higher comb.  I plan to put optics on it eventually but just in case I can't get that done in the next few weeks, what fiber optics would you guys recommend.   
For what you are going to pay for good fiber optic, i would buy a saddle mount and buy you a Bushnell TR 25 red dot. The red dot will be anywhere for 50 - 75 dollars you will have to shop for that and a saddle mount will run you around 40 dollars. So your looking around 100 dollars and with good fiber optic your going to spend around 50 dollars...

aeasley10

Quote from: SteelerFan on February 13, 2017, 07:10:31 PM
I just finished my project. Haven't shot it yet, but I'm confident it will do well at the range.

I wanted a dedicated turkey gun, and with the advancement in ammunition I wanted to go with a 20 gauge for the size and weight of the gun. Also because I had a Remington youth 20 already. Is / was my son's gun. He no longer uses it, since he's 6' 2.

I made myself a $200 budget. Figured if I was going to dump a bunch of money in it, I might as well buy a new Weatherby SA459 or similar, along with a FastFire sight, etc.

So...

I bought a shurshot stock on sale at midway ($45), added a B-square saddle mount ($42) / Truglo gobbler dot sight ($42) and a Sumtoy choke ($70). Did a quick homemade / not much thought / camo job to the add-ons. Didn't do receiver or barrel, because of keeping original integrity of the gun. That may change, as well as sight system, etc.

But for now, I have a dedicated 20 ga. turkey rig for $200 and a couple hours labor.

Have you had any issues with paint scratching or flaking off?  What kind of paint did u use?  Did u clear coat it?