OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 870 youth rebuild explanation?  (Read 14841 times)

Offline aeasley10

870 youth rebuild explanation?
« on: February 13, 2017, 01:51:05 PM »
Hey guys I'm reading lots of guys doing this rebuild, but it's unclear to me why the youth rather than say the adult 870 20 ga.  I've read tons but still lost. 

-Can some explain the reason to go with the youth?

-Is the Sure Shot stock an adult version?

Could someone post a good link for a complete rebuild with details on each change and component used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MickT

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 04:43:08 PM »
I'd say it's because a barrel costs more than a butt stock.

Offline Hoofman

Re: 870 youth rebuild explanation?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 04:47:34 PM »
I have done a build like you are talking about. The reason I did a youth version is bc that is a gun I already owned. one advantage the youth gun has is that it is smaller and lighter.  A huge difference from the heavy twelves that I have carried for years. I hardly know it's there when I'm carrying it.

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 05:36:01 PM »
21" barrels are only found on the youth models.  That's the one and only reason I went with a youth.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Offline Swampchickin234

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 05:37:44 PM »
Weight and versatility!  21" bbl, light, mobile, so much easier for me to be able to be more compact, don't get hung up on every tree limb in the woods, just to name a few.......  stupid good patterns at 40 yards, why not get a compact one?  Sure shot stock is full size l.o.p, and then converts your youth 20 to a full size 20 with a 21" bbl.  since going to a short barrell , I never want to go back.  I guess Kirk previously stated, you can buy a stock much cheaper than a bbl.   my dad however is old school, and insists on classic stock and a 26" bbl.  it also shoots stupid good patterns.   I just like a short barrel on mine and I like the weight because of if.  Either is fine, it all works, but those are my reasons. 

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 07:10:31 PM »
I just finished my project. Haven't shot it yet, but I'm confident it will do well at the range.

I wanted a dedicated turkey gun, and with the advancement in ammunition I wanted to go with a 20 gauge for the size and weight of the gun. Also because I had a Remington youth 20 already. Is / was my son's gun. He no longer uses it, since he's 6' 2.

I made myself a $200 budget. Figured if I was going to dump a bunch of money in it, I might as well buy a new Weatherby SA459 or similar, along with a FastFire sight, etc.

So...

I bought a shurshot stock on sale at midway ($45), added a B-square saddle mount ($42) / Truglo gobbler dot sight ($42) and a Sumtoy choke ($70). Did a quick homemade / not much thought / camo job to the add-ons. Didn't do receiver or barrel, because of keeping original integrity of the gun. That may change, as well as sight system, etc.

But for now, I have a dedicated 20 ga. turkey rig for $200 and a couple hours labor.

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 07:38:39 PM »
I just finished my project. Haven't shot it yet, but I'm confident it will do well at the range.

I wanted a dedicated turkey gun, and with the advancement in ammunition I wanted to go with a 20 gauge for the size and weight of the gun. Also because I had a Remington youth 20 already. Is / was my son's gun. He no longer uses it, since he's 6' 2.

I made myself a $200 budget. Figured if I was going to dump a bunch of money in it, I might as well buy a new Weatherby SA459 or similar, along with a FastFire sight, etc.

So...

I bought a shurshot stock on sale at midway ($45), added a B-square saddle mount ($42) / Truglo gobbler dot sight ($42) and a Sumtoy choke ($70). Did a quick homemade / not much thought / camo job to the add-ons. Didn't do receiver or barrel, because of keeping original integrity of the gun. That may change, as well as sight system, etc.

But for now, I have a dedicated 20 ga. turkey rig for $200 and a couple hours labor.

Awesome job

Offline shedhunta

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 07:45:02 PM »
I asked the same question a few weeks ago.  If you want the short barrel you have to start out with a youth.  The shurshot takes it to an adult size stock.  I took a youth 870, put on a 45$ shurshot for 20ga, ordered a sumtoy choke and sumtoy mount for a fastfire 2 red dot.  Next I am going to attempt mossy oak graphics in old bottomland.  Can't afford a camo dip right now. 

Offline aeasley10

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 05:31:38 AM »

So...

Thanks for that reply brother, that's exactly what I needed!  I now understand the youth deal.  Your gun looks great, but I have a few more questions.

-I personally don't like the look of the sure shot stock I prefer the standard pistol grip, but comfort is def more important, so how would u compare it to a standard pistol grip stock on other shotgun models?

-Did u have to drill and tap the receiver housing for the saddle?  If so what size bit & tap?

-what kind of camo did u use & does it have some type of protective clear coat?  it looks awesome.

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 06:37:24 AM »
I have a Sure-Shot on both a youth 870 and an 11-87. It is an great stock if you are going to use an optic. IMO the best for optics because of the high cheek design, which puts your eye perfect for a FF3 on a rail or 336 base. It was a little to high for me with iron sites. It is also a very comfortable hold and carries well with a sling.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 07:01:06 AM »
^^^ Agree with Ridge Rooster. The shurshot "points"  very well, very natural. It's definitely made for a raised sight system.

The B-square saddle mount does not require any drill & tap. The trigger assembly retention pins are replaced with bolts that fasten the mount. Not as sleek as a rail mount.

The camo is just craft store acrylics and pieces of natural sponge used to apply. You could spray a matt finish clear coat to protect it - but this doesn't need it. If it gets scratched, just grab a sponge and a squirt of fresh paint.

Offline aeasley10

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 01:40:11 PM »
^^^ Agree with Ridge Rooster. The shurshot "points"  very well, very natural. It's definitely made for a raised sight system.

The B-square saddle mount does not require any drill & tap. The trigger assembly retention pins are replaced with bolts that fasten the mount. Not as sleek as a rail mount.

The camo is just craft store acrylics and pieces of natural sponge used to apply. You could spray a matt finish clear coat to protect it - but this doesn't need it. If it gets scratched, just grab a sponge and a squirt of fresh paint.
Could u post a pic of the other side of the stock butt, I can't seem to find one of that angle?  I shoot lefty, so just wondering how it would feel for me.

Also if I wanted to run a pic rail, I assume I'd have to drill and tap it?

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »
-I personally don't like the look of the sure shot stock I prefer the standard pistol grip, but comfort is def more important, so how would u compare it to a standard pistol grip stock on other shotgun models?

They make pistol grip stocks for the 870 20's.  Knoxx used to make one but has since discontinued it since I purchased mine.  They do make an adapter for the 12ga to the 20ga receiver, but I'm not a big fan.  I've built 11 of these guns for family/friends.  I'm in the process of building another for myself and bought the SureShot for my gun.  The beauty of the Knoxx is I can adjust it all the way down for a kid or my wife, and then adjust it all the way out to fit myself.  I haven't hunted with the SureShot yet to give a comparison, but  I absolutely love the Knoxx.

My current gun started life as a Remington 870 Youth 20ga.  I stripped the gun completely down, took the receiver to a smith to drill/tap/attach rail, polished/deep cleaned barrel, replaced forearm with a synthetic from Remington, installed an adjustable Knoxx stock with a Limbsaver, and a Burris FFII sits on top with a WarBird guard.  I sanded it down, primed, and painted it with multiple stencils and lots of time.  I hand load 1 5/8oz of TSS #9.5s and run it thru a Remington Super Full "lead only" choke.  It will flat stomp turkeys.  Killed a slam with it last year.

Going to the 20ga was simple for me.  I love to run and gun, and if you've never chased a Rio they take "run" to a whole new level.  Having a smaller, lighter, more compact gun has been a god send.  I also hunt with a lot of newbies and kids.  I wanted something I could adjust the stock on to fit them as well as not bruise on the other end when they shot.  This gun does that in spades.  I've currently built 11 guns just like this one for family in friends.  I'm in process of building two more, but Knoxx stopped making the stocks so I'm using Remington's SureShot stock.  When the kids get old enough they will use this gun, and I'll carry the SureShot.

I think it will be super cool for both my kids to kill a slam with it as well.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Offline eorlando

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 01:51:52 PM »
Sand man that is an awesome looking gun. I want it. I would love to build one like that. I just need to do it. All in all how much money do you think the build cost?

Offline aeasley10

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 02:27:26 PM »
Sand man that looks sweet thanks for those pics.  I'd love to hear how u think the sure shot stock feels compared to the Knoxx.  And is the sure shot compatible for a left hand shooter?